Reporting to the Senior Billing Manager (Europe), the Billing Supervisor is responsible for overseeing members of the European billing team who support partners and other senior lawyers throughout all phases of the billing and collection process and client management.
Key Relationships (in Finance)
- Revenue Controller (US)
- Collections Manager
- E-Billing Team
- Client Accounting Rates Manager and Team
- Client Accounting Rates Manager and Team
- Client and Practice Group Reporting Team
- Accounting Systems Team
- Accounts Payable Team
- Other members of global billing team
Other Key Relationships
- Finance & Billing Committee Chair
- Finance & Billing Committee members of European offices
- Oversee the daily activities of the members of their team, including the volume of bills being prepared, the quality of the invoices being sent to partners and then clients, the timeliness of bill preparation and ensuring open and frequent communication between the team members and the partners they support.
- Assist Senior Billing Manager in operational day to day activities.
- Train new billing personnel and conduct follow-up training, as needed.
- Regular monitoring of bill processing status and other necessary follow up to ensure successful processing and timely payment to the firm.
- Assist with billing and collections when required.
- Review and monitoring of client billing arrangements, client billing address and other related information maintained in the firms matter intake system (MatterHub) and Entity Manager.
- Proactive in identifying improvements to billing processes and assisting with implementing best practices across team members.
- Collaborate with Partners to ensure timely bill preparation, review and submissions.
- Communicate and follow up with clients, where necessary, on a variety of topics.
- Prepare internal billing and collections projections and perform the initial review of the monthly unbilled time and accounts receivable priority report.
- Keep up with current VAT rules and regulations.
- Collaborate with local Accounting and Finance Teams for compliance, where necessary.
- Provide analysis support to Partners as and when required.
- Assist with onboarding new clients.
- Participate in special projects, including billing system upgrades, as they arise.
Qualifications & experience
- At least 10 years of experience with 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Experience in a similar senior role at a professional services firm, law firm experience a plus.
- Experience with Aderant a plus.
- Experience in implementing procedural and operational billing improvements.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong writing and analytical skills.
- Excellent command of English, and good knowledge of French, and any other European language is an asset.
Critical Competencies for Success:
- Communication/Influencing skills: A person with strong presence, a sense of urgency and the ability to build effective working relationships with key members of the Finance Department and Firm. A confident, proactive individual who uses reasoned fact-based arguments to anticipate and overcome objections and who is unflappable in challenging situations. A solid communicator who is effective at various levels, particularly with attorneys; an individual who listens carefully, articulates positions clearly, and conveys confidence.
- Leadership skills: A demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative, consensus-driven, partnership environment with highly skilled professionals.
- A team player who shares credit for accomplishments with others and keeps the Firm’s best interests foremost.
- A self-confident individual who is able to work equally with lawyers and administrative staff.
- Professional ethic and manner – must demonstrate the ability to maintain strict confidentiality of the Firm’s internal and personnel affairs.
- Results oriented.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal presentation skills.
If you are looking for a position in an international environment where collegiality, collaboration, integrity, excellence, and transparency are the core values then please send your cover letter and CV to BruAdminRecruit@cgsh.com.