Hong Kong Legal Recruiting
Qualified Lawyers. Candidates should submit a written application, including curriculum vitae and any relevant supporting documentation, to HK-HR@cgsh.com. Alternatively, applications may be addressed by post to:
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton (Hong Kong)
37th Floor, Hysan Place
500 Hennessy Road
Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Intern Positions. The Hong Kong office of Cleary Gottlieb will be accepting applications for summer 2016 interns from January 2016. The closing date for applications is March 1, 2016. As a rule, our Trainee Solicitors will be hired from our successful intern candidates. Ideally, we are looking for candidates aiming for a 2018 and 2019 Trainee position. Should you wish to apply please send a cover letter, resume and academic transcript (with reference page) to: HK-HR@cgsh.com.
Training Contracts. Cleary Gottlieb offers an informal and collegial working environment that fosters the professional and personal growth of our lawyers.
We seek individuals, both law and non-law graduates, whom we believe have the exceptional qualities to become the leaders of the profession in the next generation. We look for candidates who are enthusiastic about the practice of law in a challenging and dynamic international setting. Whilst academic excellence is a pre-requisite, we place particular emphasis on recruiting candidates we and our clients will enjoy working with. A sense of humour is as important as the ability to think critically and creatively about cutting-edge legal issues.
We deliberately limit our graduate intake to around 4 trainees each year so as to ensure our ability to offer bespoke training that is individually tailored to the interests, experience and aptitudes of the exceptional individuals that join us.
- Salary and Benefits. We offer a market-leading salary and benefits package that reflects the premium nature of our practice and is commensurate with our aim to recruit the best lawyers of the future.
In addition, trainees receive a discretionary, year-end bonus. In keeping with the fundamental principles of the firm, the level of any bonus paid, whether to trainees or associates, depends solely on seniority.
We fund the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) for all our future trainee solicitors. We will also provide a maintenance grant of HKD50,000 for this period of study.
Additional benefits include:
- Private healthcare cover
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Qualification Requirements. We receive a very high number of applications for training contracts each year. To succeed, candidates need to demonstrate exceptional academic ability. We normally expect candidates who demonstrate the ability to attain a high 2.1 degree or better from a leading university and who have achieved at least AAB at A-Level or the equivalent. We look beyond pure exam results to consider other relevant factors. Alongside academic ability, we value evidence of extra-curricular achievement. In addition, we expect successful candidates to be fluent in English as well as Mandarin. Cantonese skills are desirable but not necessary.
- When to Apply. Candidates for trainee solicitor positions should apply, two years in advance of the year in which the training contract is due to commence.
- How to Apply. All candidates should submit a cover letter and full curriculum vitae via the firm’s website or via email directly to HK-HR@cgsh.com, including a breakdown by subject of final year school academic results and degree results where known.
Trainee Solicitor Brochure. Click here to view our current Trainee Solicitor brochure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
From its inception, Cleary has strived to maintain a friendly and collegial atmosphere that makes our offices a positive and supportive place in which to work. We believe strongly in the desirability of a work environment that is free from all forms of discrimination and harassment, where all of us observe the highest professional standards and treat each other with civility, respect and dignity. Consistent with these goals, the firm has a policy prohibiting any form of discrimination or harassment based on actual or perceived age, alienage or citizenship, ancestry, arrest or conviction record, color, creed, disability, domestic partnership status, gender identity, self-image, appearance, behavior or expression, genetic predisposition or genetic carrier status, marital status, military status, national origin, partnership status, pregnancy, childbirth- and pregnancy-related medical conditions, race, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation or preference, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of stalking or a sex offense, unemployment, veteran status, or any other category protected by law. This policy applies to all employment-related matters, including recruitment, hiring, placement, assignments, training, compensation, promotion and termination.