Communications Executive (12 Month FTC)
- Support senior BDMC leader and partners in implementing the marketing strategy and plan for the London office focusing on certain industry sectors that are important to the London office by client, opportunity and potential revenue.
- Assist in the drafting, and editing, of content for use across all of our external communications channels.
- Support other offices in Europe, Middle East and Asia as agreed (with local support for local language press).
- Develop and maintain good relationships with external agencies and colleagues in the marketing and communications team in New York.
- Develop relationships with business and legal journalists from key national and pan-European publications read by the firm’s client base (e.g. FT, WSJ Europe).
- Draft press releases (and Q&A) and obtain relevant internal approvals within tight timescales to ensure maximum chance of coverage. Draft complementary client and internal communications. Project manage releases to suit local market.
- Anticipate and manage potential negative coverage or sensitive issues (together with other team members).
- Monitor media mentions and plan improvements. Keep partners and lawyers informed of media coverage.
- Provide a high quality service to the organisation, building excellent internal relationships and promoting the importance of external media profile to the partnership.
- Work with partners to identify topics on which partners can comment, and organise interviews/phone calls as necessary.
- Facilitate the placement of articles drafted by partners and lawyers.
- Ensure client communications are co-coordinated with media communications, and client implications are considered. Consult with client teams as necessary, together with other team members.
- Share best practice in media relations across the European Business Development team. Advise other members of the team. Re-write materials as necessary to ensure quality, and in particular that the English is good enough. Liaise with Italian PR agency (in place to handle local language press).
- Provide written guidance on different publications and conference providers to allow team members across Europe to respond appropriately to frequent sales approaches, and to advise their local partners on approaches made to them.
- Review conferences and other opportunities for the firm to promote/position itself and grow client relationships. Take opportunities to partners and liaise with conference providers. Advise partners on value of different conference providers. Implement policies on paid-for opportunities and review polices with partners on a regular basis. Track costs and feedback.
- Support process for awards submissions and awards dinners, and ensure appropriate attendance.
- Contribute to regular internal reports and tracking of media and profile raising.
Skills and Competencies
The person who fulfills this role needs to be (i) self-starting, enthusiastic and motivated (ii) enjoy being hands on; (iii) be a team player as our culture is very collegiate; (iv) have the ability to work with and motivate lawyers to become involved in the process of communicating with the media (v) have a strong ability to pitch story ideas and profiles effectively; and (vi) be able to multi-task and juggle priorities with confidence.
- Ideally a minimum of two years media relations/PR/communications/editorial experience.
- European experience or evidence of cultural sensitivity.
- Experience of producing media or content plans, and implementing actions.
- An ability to develop a knowledge of the firm’s key clients and work, the importance of clients’ opinions to the firm.
In addition to the above, the following qualities would be advantageous:
- Sensitive to a partnership environment and appreciates that when working in a consensus driven organization decisions can sometimes be slow to emerge.
- Personable and able to build rapport with partners, associates, knowledge management and other staff – across all offices as required.
- Strategic thinker who is also able to deal precisely and accurately with detail.
- Proactive and determined with good influencing skills.
- Sensitive to deadlines and is calm when working under time pressures.