Practice Development Lawyer – M&A
The PDL will be responsible for a range of activities aimed at developing and supporting the M&A practice group in the London office and the lawyers practising within it.
- Work with the practice group lawyers to identify and gather Practice Development related requirements through identification of emerging or changed priorities, or periodic requirements gathering efforts.
- Develop, in tandem with the practice group partners, a Practice Development strategy to meet knowledge and training requirements.
- Manage the mechanisms to review and monitor the Practice Development strategy and report progress on a regular basis to practice group partners.
- Influence overall firm Practice Development strategy to ensure strategic direction and priorities incorporate practice group requirements by acting as an advocate for and on behalf of practice group.
Legal Expertise and Know-How
- Coordinate and support the practice group in creation of appropriate knowledge base—model forms and precedents, and accompanying guidance and drafting notes, practice notes, and memoranda.
- Respond to enquiries on substantive legal matters from the practice group and other offices, and oversee delivery of enquiry services provided to practice group by others.
- Act as a source of legal, market and practical expertise for all members of practice group, including the provision of direct support for client matters.
- Liaise with peers within Cleary as well as relevant external legal and market organisations to identify and share leading practices and responses to emerging or changed market issues/market documentation.
- Monitor legal and business environment for important developments in applicable legislation, regulations and standards, and communicate appropriately via alerts, practice notes, bulletins, practice group meetings, training event, and other forums.
- Work with Library and Information Services to leverage internal and external sources for purposes of current awareness building.
- Train practice group on relevant Knowledge tools and processes to ensure lawyers are able to locate practice related knowledge (internal and external) and are able to contribute and share knowledge and insight.
- Support the practice group partners to manage the practice group, for example, scheduling and setting the agenda for regular partner meetings and monitoring lawyer productivity.
- Assist with legal project management within the practice as appropriate.
- Work with practice group and Business Development to identify issues and developments of relevance to new and existing clients through formal marketing programmes and materials, client training, articles and briefing notes.
- Provide support to practice group and Business Development with creation of pitch documents and related materials.
- Identify and consider opportunities for the practice group to build its profile outside the firm (e.g., writing of articles, participating in professional bodies or consultations) and assist in taking up those opportunities where appropriate.
- Work with the practice group to develop particular forms of M&A specific client initiatives (e.g., in-person training sessions/workshops, hosting webinars).
Content and Channel Management
- Act as advocate for knowledge sharing and work with practice group to create and capture practice group related knowledge.
- Manage processes to ensure that the practice group knowledge base is maintained and updated to reflect current industry practice and changes in law and agreed standards.
- Evaluate know-how for relevance and suitability for addition to knowledge bases and managing quality of metadata tagging.
- Continually improve processes and tools to capture, review, store, access, and disseminate knowledge to comply with firm’s Practice Development strategy as well as firm policies and client requirements regarding confidentiality and security.
- Manage electronic resources (Portal, Wiki, Discussion Forum) to provide simple and effective access to practice group knowledge and associated tools and resources.
- Supervise maintenance of matter management including descriptions and categorisation in approved tools and systems.
- Conduct post-matter reviews to ensure lessons learned and best practices captured as well as highlighting requirements regarding compliance with document retention policies.
- Coordinate and support the practice group in the development of an appropriate legal education programme to support trainee and lawyer legal education.
- Design and deliver legal education content for trainees and lawyers.
If you are interested in applying, please submit a CV and short cover letter to Lon-HR@cgsh.com.