Cleary Gottlieb’s Practice Development function is responsible for the design, creation and management of a suite of knowledge solutions which enable Partners and lawyers to find, access, and utilize knowledge and IP in the course of business development and client delivery.
Within this function, the Global Research and Competitive Intelligence team is responsible for a range of services, with particular emphasis on establishing and delivering research products to support the Partners’ and the firm’s business development and planning activities.
The Research Manager will support the Global Research Lead in shaping and delivering Cleary’s research strategy and programs in alignment with the wider Practice Development strategy and objectives.
- Work closely with the Global Research Lead to develop and implement the Practice Development Research and Competitive Intelligence strategy and associated products and services.
- Design, launch and lead a variety of delivery initiatives that will be critical to the Global Research and Competitive Intelligence team’s success, including the development of account-based research services, self-service enablement and outsourced research support.
- Support the Global Research Lead in developing processes to review and monitor the research strategy and its impact, reporting progress on a regular basis to relevant stakeholders through accurate, and actionable, management information.
- Assist in managing a global service that is conscious of local requirements and preferences whilst retaining a common and global approach, contributing to critical research projects as needed.
- Help set and maintain quality standards and service levels for research outputs and deliverables, coordinating the gathering of feedback from requesters on a continuous basis for input into the research and Practice Development programs.
- Support a culture of continuous improvement to ensure research strategy and deliverables continue to adapt and evolve, contributing to peer review of deliverables and staff training as needed.
- Act as subject matter expert with regard to research competencies and operations, keeping abreast of market developments associated with emerging technologies, user habits, project management, and delivery models (reflecting these trends in the research programs as appropriate).
- Assist in optimizing the use of external content and vendor licenses to ensure research output is leveraging the best/most appropriate content and complies with agreements etc.
- Work with the Global Research Lead and other Practice Development team members to ensure products remain aligned with Cleary’s business priorities and the evolving needs of the firm’s clients.
- Participate in regular meetings of the Global Research and Competitive Intelligence team and Practice Development programs, as well as associated and relevant project meetings.
- Liaise with other business support functions as necessary in course of duties, including the library, finance, and business development teams.
Skills and Competencies:
- Bachelors Degree required. Post graduate qualification in an information, research or business-related discipline preferred (but not essential).
- Proven track record of delivering research in a commercial or professional services organization. Legal background an advantage (but not essential).
- Minimum five years’ experience in a business research, strategic analysis and/or competitive intelligence role, with strong understanding of associated sources, techniques and technologies.
- Ability to interpret and translate business requirements into relevant research projects, products and services, co-developing these with Partners as needed.
- Confident in scoping complex requests effectively and robustly, gathering feedback to ensure continuous improvement within an agile, high-performing project management environment.
- Specialist knowledge and experience of engaging with third-party and/or outsourced research agencies to deliver impactful research programs and deliverables in a cost-effective fashion.
- Understanding of, and ability to use, both qualitative and quantitative research methods, including financial analysis skills and innovative visual techniques to display information and data.
- Comfortable with effective business writing and structured thinking methodologies; able to bring together a variety of perspectives in a concise fashion and deliver a clear message ‘up front’.
- Focused on drawing critical linkages between the research and programs undertaken and Cleary services and opportunities.
- Excellent understanding of the critical success criteria for a high-quality research and competitive intelligence function, including ensuring that products and services are impactful and actionable.
- Ability to engage and influence senior stakeholders and collaborate effectively with peers across practice areas and regions.
If you are interested in applying, please submit a CV and short cover letter to LonLegalRecruit@cgsh.com