We seek individuals, both law and non-law graduates, whom we believe have the exceptional qualities to become the leaders of the profession in the next generation.
We look for candidates who are enthusiastic about the practice of law in a challenging and dynamic international setting. While academic excellence is a pre-requisite, we place particular emphasis on recruiting candidates with whom we and our clients will enjoy working. A sense of humour is as important as the ability to think critically and creatively about cutting-edge legal issues.
While our aim is to recruit 12-15 trainees to join us in September 2019 or March 2020, we will only recruit those candidates that we think have a long-term future with us.
- Salary and Benefits. We offer a salary and benefits package that reflects the premium nature of our practice and is commensurate with our aim to recruit the best lawyers of the future. As at September 1, 2016, our salaries are:
- £48,000 for the first 12 months
- £52,000 for the second 12 months
Trainees additionally receive a discretionary, year-end bonus. In keeping with the fundamental principles of the firm, the level of any bonus paid, whether to trainees or associates, depends solely on seniority.
We fund the Legal Practice Course for all our future trainee solicitors. For non-law graduates, we also fund the Graduate Diploma in Law. In each year of professional study, we pay a maintenance grant of £8,000.
Additional benefits include:
- 5 percent employer pension contribution
- Fitness subsidy
- Private health care cover
- Dental insurance
- Health screening
- Life insurance of twice annual salary
- Long-term disability insurance
- Childcare vouchers
- Back-up care
- Employee assistance programme
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Qualification Requirements. We actively encourage all candidates who are considering applying to us for a trainee solicitor position to undertake a vacation placement with us, as almost all of our trainee solicitors have done.
We receive a very high number of applications for vacation scheme placements and training contracts each year. To succeed, candidates need to demonstrate exceptional academic ability. We normally expect candidates to be on course to attain a high 2.1 degree or better from a leading university and to have achieved at least AAA at A-Level or the equivalent. Alongside academic ability, we value evidence of extra-curricular achievement. Foreign language skills are a valuable asset, but are not essential.
- When to Apply. Candidates for trainee solicitor positions should apply before July 31, two years in advance of the year in which the training contract is due to commence. Direct training contract applications will not be reviewed until after the deadline on 31 July 2017.
- How to Apply. All candidates should submit a cover letter and full curriculum vitae via the Current Opportunities link, including a breakdown by subject of all A-Level (or equivalent) results and degree results where known.
- Trainee Solicitor Brochure. Click here to view our current Trainee Solicitor brochure.
Equal Employment Opportunity
From its inception, Cleary has strived to maintain a friendly and collegial atmosphere that makes our offices a positive and supportive place in which to work. We believe strongly in the desirability of a work environment that is free from all forms of discrimination and harassment, where all of us observe the highest professional standards and treat each other with civility, respect and dignity. Consistent with these goals, the firm has a policy prohibiting any form of discrimination or harassment based on actual or perceived age, alienage or citizenship, ancestry, arrest or conviction record, color, creed, disability, domestic partnership status, gender identity, self-image, appearance, behavior or expression, genetic predisposition or genetic carrier status, marital status, military status, national origin, partnership status, pregnancy, childbirth- and pregnancy-related medical conditions, race, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation or preference, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of stalking or a sex offense, unemployment, veteran status, or any other category protected by law. This policy applies to all employment-related matters, including recruitment, hiring, placement, assignments, training, compensation, promotion and termination.