Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are central to our identity and reflected not only in the people who work here, but also in the way we approach legal practice.
Because we work daily with clients around the world on matters involving a broad array of legal, business, and social/cultural perspectives, we know the value of being an eclectic group of lawyers. Fostering interactions among lawyers with similar affinities, as well as those with diverse experiences and perspectives, makes us a more welcoming and supportive firm—and one that is better positioned to serve our clients.
- 100% Corporate Equality Index Score, Human Rights Campaign Foundation, 2020
- Top Firm for Gender Equity, Yale Law Women, 2019
- Top 10 in The American Lawyer’s 2019 Diversity Scorecard
- Best Gender Diversity Initiative by an International Firm, Euromoney’s Women in Business Law Awards, 2019
- Top 20 Law Firm, Stonewall Workplace Equality Index, 2018
- Freedom Award Winner, Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund, 2018
- 34% of our associates in our U.S. offices are from diverse backgrounds
- 50% of our U.S.-based associates are women
- 6%, boasting one of the highest percentages of LGBT associates in the U.S.
Cleary Gottlieb actively supports community outreach and training programs focused on diversity issues and partner with leading diversity and inclusion stakeholders inside and outside of the legal industry.
Our Affinity Groups
Cleary’s affinity groups collaborate with firm leadership, organize social activities, conduct continuing legal education programs and raise awareness about topics relevant to the members of their respective groups. Affinity groups are empowered to be active participants in the firm’s efforts to achieve greater inclusion.
We proudly support five affinity groups:
- Black Affinity Group
- East Asian Affinity Group
- Latinx Affinity Group
- LGBT Affinity Group
- South East Asian-South Asian-Middle Eastern Affinity Group
“Cleary does a great job of supporting the initiatives of different populations at the firm, leading to a true sense of community. Cleary’s investment in me, through supporting my attendance at legal conferences and welcoming my voice in different settings, is empowering and positively impacts my experience at the firm.”
To learn more about our commitment, recent initiatives, partnerships, and what Cleary attorneys work on, read our Diversity and Inclusion brochure.