The impressive positions our alumni hold reflect both the quality of our firm’s legal training and our global reach.
Should you pursue a career outside Cleary Gottlieb, you’ll join a network of stellar alumni of whom we are incredibly proud. Many alumni choose to remain in close contact with us after they leave—with many even becoming our best clients. People may leave Cleary, but they never leave the Cleary family.
Cleary alumni have gone on to join the legal departments of corporations and financial institutions, teach at universities, and even pursue fields completely outside of the law:
- More than 680 investment banking and finance executives
- More than 547 officials in government
- 266 general counsel and senior officers at Fortune 500 companies
- Over 240 law school deans and professors
- 94 officials at intergovernmental organizations
- 100 startup and technology company leaders
- Over 75 hedge fund and private equity executives
- 54 founders or current directors of not-for-profits
- Eight published fiction authors
- Member of the World Trade Organization’s Appellate Body, representing the European Communities
- Co-CEO and co-chairman of IMAX, winner of an Academy Award
- Senior restructuring officer of the U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Secretary of the U.S. Department of the Treasury
- President of the U.N. General Assembly
- Deputy assistant attorney general in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
- President of The Ford Foundation
- In-house and general counsel of Abbott Laboratories Blue Cross Blue Shield, Carnegie Hall, DHL, Ernst & Young, Exxon, Facebook, FIT, First Solar, Garmin, General Electric, Goldman Sachs, HBO, HSBC, Hulu, Johnson & Johnson, La-Z-Bay, Louis Vuitton, Manhattan College, Marc Jacobs, MasterCard, MetLife, Microsoft, NBA, New York Stock Exchange, Planned Parenthood, Pfizer, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Rainforest Alliance, Samsung Electronics, Siemens, Spotify, The New York Times, Time, Time Warner Cable, Verizon Communications, Visa, Yale, and several large investment funds and international corporations
Our Alumni Relations team actively engages our alumni network through educational programming and social events around the world. For more information, please contact NY-AlumniRelations@cgsh.com.