Compensation and Benefits
At Cleary, compensation is highly competitive and structured in a unique way. Every associate and partner is compensated solely on the basis of seniority, not hours billed or business generated. We expect each lawyer to give his or her best and to strive for excellence.
- Annual compensation of $190,000 for first-year associates.
- Salary advances for incoming associates of up to $10,000 are available within four months prior to joining Cleary.
- Judicial clerkship bonus available upon joining Cleary for those who have completed one or more judicial clerkships.
Associates also receive a number of competitive benefits, some of which are highlighted below.
- 401(k) Plan: Associates may participate through voluntary salary deductions.
- Moving expenses are coordinated through an authorized mover and paid for by Cleary for relocations to the New York area made within three months of joining our firm.
- Broker’s fees are covered for rental of initial primary New York-area residence within three months of joining Cleary.
Professional Reimbursement Programs
- Bar review tuition will be reimbursed by Cleary.
- NY state bar and multistate examination fees, as well as travel and hotel accommodations, are reimbursed by the firm.
- Bar association dues: One annual membership reimbursed by Cleary.
- Law school matching gift program of up to $500 annually, paid by our firm.
- Health Club: Reimbursement of up to $1500 towards annual membership fees. The firm maintains corporate discounts with Crunch, Equinox, New York Sports Club (NYSC) and New York Health & Racquet Club.
- Parental Leave Policy: The Firm’s policy provides time off for the birth, adoption or permanent foster care placement of a child. Depending on eligibility, the Firm offers paid leave for a maximum of 18 weeks for birthing parents and 10 weeks for non-birthing, adopting, and fostering parents.
- Lactation Room: A private, comfortable and convenient place for women to continue breast-feeding upon returning to work from maternity leave.
- Emergency Child Care: A back-up child care service, located near the office, is available.
- Elder Care Program: A confidential resource and referral program, helping employees deal with all types of elder care needs.
- Medical Benefit Plans: Offered through United Healthcare Choice Plus, United Healthcare Health Savings Plan with Health Savings Account and HIP Emblem Plan.
- Dental Benefit Plan: Offered through Aetna Freedom of Choice Plan, including DMO and PPO options.
- Vision Plan: Offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: For expenses not covered by medical, child care and other programs.