Summer Associate Program
Because the firm has no formal departments or rotations for any of its lawyers, summer associates at Cleary enjoy assignments in a variety of practice areas and disciplines. Nor is your internship confined to Washington, D.C.—or even the United States. International assignments are plentiful: In past years, more than one-third of our summer associates have spent time working in our overseas offices.
A Place to Grow
Summer associates work closely with established attorneys and make meaningful contributions to firm matters. Training ranges from formal to informal: Get up to speed in our litigation boot camp with a mock deposition exercise, participate in corporate practice seminars designed especially for our summer associates, and attend presentations and events sponsored by practice groups throughout Cleary.
In addition to your work at the firm, you'll also take advantage of life in D.C., including partner-hosted dinners and firm-wide events. And to keep everyone connected, summer associates receive the same technology and support as associates and partners, fully integrating yourself in the work of our firm.
Past summer associates have joined us from the following prestigious law schools:
- Columbia University School of Law
- Cornell Law School (New York Job Fair)
- Duke University School of Law
- George Washington University Law School
- Georgetown University Law Center
- Harvard Law School
- Howard University Law School
- Midwest-Cali DC Interview Program
- National Law School Consortium DC Interview Program
- New York University School of Law
- Northwestern University School of Law
- Stanford Law School
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law
- University of Chicago Law School
- University of Michigan Law School
- University of Pennsylvania Law School
- University of Virginia School of Law
- Vanderbilt University Law School DC Interview Program
- Yale Law School
Most summer associate hiring is initiated through on-campus interviews. However, students at schools we are unable to visit—as well as judicial clerks and experienced lawyers—also may apply. Please refer to Opportunities and Application Information for more details.