Pro Bono and Community Service
At Cleary, pro bono is at the core of our culture and founding principles.
We’re dedicated to using our skills and talents to help others and take pridein serving those who might not otherwise have the benefit of strong legal representation. Some notable recent pro bono efforts include:
- Fighting local and international human rights abuses, including settling an important lawsuit to help eradicate sexual abuse by guards at Rikers Island.
- Working with The Legal Aid Society to successfully secure vacatur for a wrongfully convicted client who serviced more than 20 years in prison.
- Partnering with the Veterans Assistance Project, ensuring that veterans receive fair treatment from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Uniting with the International Refugee Assistance Project during the Syrian refugee crises in Europe.
- Helping hundreds of immigrants and refugees find safety and security.
- Working with Death Row prisoners to get them resentenced and released through the Malawi Death Penalty Resentencing Project.
- Collaborating with other law firms to help research female genital mutilation in Africa.
- Advising pro bono clients at Toynbee Hall’s Free Legal Advice Centre.
- Advising nonprofits that work tirelessly to better the world.
“Cleary’s pro bono practice gives associates the opportunity to take complete ownership over their cases. While partners are always available to provide advice and support, associates drive strategy and its implementation, as well as develop close relationships with their clients along the way.”
We approach our pro bono work exactly as we approach our paying cases: putting the full resources of the firm toward the needs of the client. Hundreds of our attorneys worldwide dedicate themselves, voluntarily, to pro bono work.
- 70 percent of attorneys worked on pro bono matters
- 700+ pro bono clients served
- 23,000+ hours spent on defending the rights of immigrants and refugees
- 100,000+ pro bono and public service hours
“Cleary’s pro bono practice is entrepreneurial. I’ve felt empowered to identify new pro bono cases and opportunities not already within the firm’s existing practice areas.”
To learn more about Cleary’s pro bono practice, accolades and initiatives, please read our brochure and visit our Pro Bono Practice page.