Compensation & Benefits
At Cleary, compensation is highly competitive and structured in a unique way. Every associate and partner is compensated solely on the basis of seniority, not hours billed or business generated. We expect each lawyer to give his or her best and to strive for excellence.
- Annual compensation of $190,000 for first-year associates
- Salary advances for incoming associates of up to $10,000 are available within four months prior to joining Cleary
- Judicial clerkship bonus available upon joining Cleary for those who have completed one or more judicial clerkships
Associates also receive a number of competitive benefits, some of which are highlighted below.
- 401(k) Plan: Associates may participate through voluntary salary deductions.
- Moving expenses are coordinated through an authorized mover and paid for by Cleary for relocations made within three months of joining our firm.
- Health Club: Annual membership in a club where Cleary is a corporate member, or reimbursement of 75% of monthly membership fees at any other health club that you prefer to join.
- Telecommuting Policy: Work from home up to two weekdays per month.
- Parental Leave Policy: The Firm provides time off for the birth, adoption or permanent foster care placement of a child. All eligible employees are afforded ten (10) weeks of bonding leave. In addition, birthing parents are entitled to apply for short‑term disability benefits for any period of disability following the birth, and if approved for such benefits, will receive disability leave and full salary during such period of disability in accordance with the terms of our short‑term disability program. While this period is typically eight (8) weeks, it may be shorter or longer depending on the specific circumstances.
- Lactation Room: A private, comfortable and convenient place to continue breast-feeding upon returning to work from parental leave.
- Full-Time Child Care: Preferential access to a high quality full-time child care and early education facility located near the office.
- Emergency Child Care: A back-up child care service, located near the office, is available.
- Elder Care Program: A confidential resource and referral program, helping employees deal with all types of elder care needs.
Professional Reimbursement Programs
- Bar review tuition will be reimbursed by Cleary.
- State bar and multistate examination fees are reimbursed by the firm, along with travel and hotel accommodations for D.C., Maryland, New York and Virginia state bar exams.
- Bar association dues: One annual membership reimbursed by Cleary.
- Law school matching gift program of up to $500 annually, paid by our firm.
- Medical Benefit Plan: Pre-tax monthly contribution by an associate toward a choice of CIGNA PPO or Health Savings plan, or Kaiser Permanente HMO plan.
- Dental Benefit Plan: Offered through Aetna Freedom of Choice Plan, including DMO and PPO options.
- Vision Care Plan: Exams, frames, lenses and contacts coverage offered through VSP Vision Care. Flexible Spending Accounts: For expenses not covered by medical, child care and other programs.