Ignacio Zapiola’s practice focuses on disputes matters in Latin America with a particular emphasis on international arbitration, litigation, crisis management, and investigations.
Ignacio has successfully represented a number of major Latin American oil and gas, metals and mining, power, and infrastructure companies as well as sovereigns in disputes and crises in Latin America, Europe, Africa, and the United States. He also has experience advising clients on transactional matters.
Ignacio joined the firm in 2011. Previously, he was an associate at PAGBAM in Buenos Aires. Additional work experience includes the United Nations (New York), the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (New York), and The Walt Disney Company (Buenos Aires).
Latin American affiliates of international oil and gas companies in an ongoing ICC arbitration in New York relating to the interpretation of a gas sales agreement governed by New York law.
A European consumer goods’ manufacturer in an ongoing ICC arbitration in São Paulo, relating to claims for accounting fraud and misrepresentations in violation of a sale and purchase agreement governed by Brazilian law.
A Latin American oil and gas company in an ongoing ICC arbitration relating to breaches of representations and warranties in an asset sale agreement governed by New York law.
DP World in an ongoing ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Peru under the UK-Peru bilateral investment treaty and a concession agreement for the development and operation of the South Pier of the Port of Callao in connection with DP World’s exclusion from the tender for the North Pier concession and the tender’s structure and design.
A major Latin American oil and gas company in the successful prosecution of a Spanish-language IACAC arbitration in New York relating to a concession agreement governed by Peruvian law.
Litigation, Crisis Management, and Investigations
The Republic of Argentina in the defense of numerous cases brought in connection with Argentina’s 2001 economic crisis, including in successfully defeating worldwide attempts to attach assets of Argentina and its instrumentalities, and in connection with the restraint of the Argentine warship Fragata ARA Libertad in Ghana and the ultimate release of that vessel.
An affiliate of Pluspetrol in successfully obtaining injunctive relief in Delaware Court of Chancery against Harvest Natural Resources on two occasions, first enjoining Harvest from pursuing an investment treaty arbitration on behalf of the parties’ joint venture against the Republic of Venezuela and subsequently enjoining Harvest from selling its interest in the joint venture without honoring our client’s tag-along rights.
CODELCO in the settlement of a multibillion-dollar dispute with Anglo American relating to certain Anglo copper interests in Chile known as Anglo American Sur and in the negotiation of a new partnership between Codelco, Anglo, and their respective partners, Mitsui & Co. and Mitsubishi Corporation.
A multinational financial institution in connection with a market-wide investigation of certain trading activity in Latin America.
A state-owned oil and gas company in an SEC investigation involving Chimera Energy Corp.
- Officer, International Bar Association Public Law Committee
- Regional Representative for United States, North American Chapter of The International Chamber of Commerce Young Arbitrators Forum (2017-2019)
“Drafting International Arbitration Clauses,” THĒMIS-Revista de Derecho, 2017 (joint authorship)
“International Commercial Arbitration in Argentina,” in International Commercial Arbitration in Latin America, Wolters Kluwer, 2009 (joint authorship)
“A Necessary Legislative Reform: When the Lack of (Arbitral) Compromis is Positive,” Journal of the City of Buenos Aires Bar Association, 2009 (joint authorship)
- “International Crisis Management Conference Businesses and the Criminal System: A Comprehensive Approach,” Speaker, Lima, 2019
- “Jornadas de Arbitraje Comercial,” Speaker, ICC Argentina y CEMARC, Buenos Aires, 2019
- “Jóvenes vs Experiencia ¿Un dilema en la selección de árbitros?,” Cámara de Comercio de Lima, Lima, 2019
- “Cuestiones en Derecho Comparado,” Speaker, ICC YAF, Montevideo, 2018
- ICC YAF Global Conference, Speaker, New York, 2017
- “Defending Sovereigns,” Speaker, Harvard Law School, Boston, 2017
- “¿Cómo Ganar un Arbitraje?,” Taller de Arbitraje BFE, Lima, 2017
- “Would, Could, Should: The Role of Government in the Protection of Human Rights by Ensuring Business Respect for Such Rights?,” Speaker, IBA Annual Conference, Washington, 2016
- “The Future of Technology in International Arbitration,” Speaker, ICC YAF, Miami, 2015
- “The Americas Legislative Update,” Speaker, ICDR Miami Annual Conference, 2015
- “International Arbitration and Discovery 10 Years After Intel v. AMD,” Panelist, ABA Section of International Law Fall Meeting, 2014
- “The Rebirth of State-Participation in the Natural Resources Sector,” Lecturer, Columbia Law School, 2013
- “Drafting ADR Clauses in Long-Term Contracts,” Lecturer, Universidad de Buenos Aires, 2013