Cleary Gottlieb Earns Top Recognition in Chambers Latin America 2018
September 20, 2017
Cleary Gottlieb continues to receive high rankings as a premier law firm in the latest edition of Chambers Latin America.
In total, the legal directory recognized nine practice areas and 10 lawyers from the firm’s New York, Buenos Aires and São Paulo offices, remarking that Cleary is an “outstanding corporate powerhouse with a deep bench of practitioners” and “maintains a dominant market position thanks to the volume and complexity of cases handled throughout the entire Latin American region.”
Cleary is the only firm to be named to the top tier in the Latin America-wide categories for Banking and Finance, Capital Markets and Corporate/M&A every year since the guide has been published. The 2018 rankings also highlight Cleary’s work in the categories of Energy and Natural Resources, International Arbitration and Projects.
The firm’s exceptional results were reinforced by the following client and peer commendations:
- Banking and Finance: “The professionalism of the lawyers and the speed with which they respond to any issue are standout qualities, as well as their ability to adapt the work to the particular situation of each of the parties involved in the transaction.”
- Capital Markets: “We have relied on the firm for more than 20 years so we are very satisfied with its quality of legal advice … they work for us as partners, not just as outside counsel.”
- Corporate/M&A: “They go above and beyond the call of duty. The team is always responsive, they turn documents around extremely quickly and are very commercially minded. They have a real breadth of experience that they can bring to matters.”
- Energy and Natural Resources: “We have a very close relationship and when they represent us, we know they are 100 percent behind us ... They really get involved and take a clear position on what is important.”
- International Arbitration: “The dedication and analysis the firm puts into every case is impressive. The more senior partners have lots of experience and wisdom, while younger partners and associates are great at execution.”
- Projects: “They stand out for the quality of their work, knowledge of the industry and understanding of my company.”
- Banking and Finance: “[T]echnical expertise balanced with commercial pragmatism, focus and experience” … “They understand the goal and are constructive and creative in helping us to get there.”
- Capital Markets: “The team is familiar enough with Brazil to distinguish real problems from mere differences in how things are done. The lawyers have the kind of unbroken, long-term track record and profound understanding of Brazilian business and legal practice that is necessary to tackle high-risk matters.”
- Corporate/M&A: “[E]xcellent service and solution-oriented approach” … “always brings ideas and alternatives” … “very transparent about potential risks and mitigating factors, making our decision process much easier.”
The Chambers rankings follow the recent release of the 2017 edition of The Legal 500 Latin America, which also ranked Cleary as a top law firm for international businesses.