With over 35 years of experience in Asia, Cleary Gottlieb has a longer history in the region than most other international law firms.
Our clients benefit from the intimate knowledge of local law and business custom our lawyers bring to every transaction. With offices in Hong Kong, Beijing and Seoul and over 60 resident lawyers, many of whom are fluent in Chinese or Korean in addition to English, our Asia practice handles the largest and most innovative transactions both for clients based in Asia and those doing business in the region.
A pioneer from the outset, Cleary continues its enterprising tradition in Asia with a number of landmark transactions, including representation of clients in:
- The first major foreign investments in the financial sectors in China and Korea.
- The successful implementation of one of the largest-ever private sector restructurings.
- Equity and debt offerings in China, Hong Kong, Korea and other jurisdictions, including India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand.
- The first cross-border public tender offer in both the United States and Singapore.
- The first hostile tender offer by a Japanese company.
- The establishment of one of the first renminbi-denominated funds in China.
Cleary’s historical strengths in representing sovereign governments include advising countries in Asia in restructurings and privatizations. We counsel Asian clients on domestic, regional and overseas investment and business strategies. For foreign clients with investments in Asia, we provide legal guidance on matters spanning finance, currency conversion, taxes and governmental information disclosure requirements.
Hong Kong Law Practice
A key distinction of our global practice is the integration of our international lawyers with a strong local law practice in many of our offices. We have approximately 20 Hong Kong-qualified solicitors who work closely with our international lawyers to deliver integrated U.S., Hong Kong and English legal services seamlessly to our clients. The practice focuses on Hong Kong-listed IPOs and other capital markets transactions, as well as private equity and other M&A transactions.
June 12, 2017
May 10, 2016
February 05, 2016