Seoul Office Paralegal Program
The Seoul office of Cleary Gottlieb is seeking paralegals to support our corporate practice in Korea starting July 2024. The ideal candidate will be a highly qualified and motivated college graduate who demonstrates high standards of intellect, character and energy, as well as strong interest in the practice of corporate law.
Because of the firm’s market-leading Korea practice, corporate paralegals will be exposed to a wide variety of complex, cross-border transactions and work with some of the most knowledgeable attorneys in the field. In addition to challenging work, the corporate paralegal experience at Cleary Gottlieb offers an excellent learning opportunity for those interested in law school or entering the business world.
Our experience indicates that this program is particularly well-suited for college graduates and current students who are interested in pursuing U.S. law schools. A predominant number of our former paralegals from the Seoul Office have advanced to top U.S. law schools, including Harvard, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Cornell, and Michigan.
Please note that we expect all candidates to make a 2-year commitment in the offered position prior to exploring other opportunities.
- Conduct legal research and participate in documentary due diligence;
- Support attorneys in preparing filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other governmental agencies;
- Assist the attorneys for the closings of various corporate transactions;
- Assist the attorneys with proofreading contracts and other legal documents and performing cross-reference and defined terms checks;
- Translate legal documents from English into Korean and vice versa; and
- Provide substantive support for the Cleary team as needed
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree with strong academic background (minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5) by the starting date;
- Interest in the field of corporate law, such as capital market and M&A transactions;
- Minimum of a two-year commitment;
- Excellent time management, organizational, interpersonal, problem-solving, and written and verbal communication skills, including native level language proficiency in both English and Korean;
- Flexibility to work outside regular business hours, including early morning, evenings and weekends as needed;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while working in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment;
- Capacity to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information;
- Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft Office programs, and the capability to quickly learn new computer programs as needed; and
- Professional, positive and enthusiastic demeanor.
Paralegals who successfully complete two years of employment are eligible for the below benefits:
- Special bonus payment at the end of the two-year employment; and/or
- Opportunity to be promoted to an Analyst position, which will be accompanied with broader and more in-depth job responsibilities and a salary increase.
Paralegal candidates applying to the Seoul office should submit a resume, official transcript and cover letter to the below email no later than April 30, 2024:
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
Foreign Legal Consultant Office
19F, Ferrum Tower
19, Eulji-ro 5-gil, Jung-gu
Seoul 04539, Korea