LatinFinance Names Cleary Gottlieb ‘Law Firm of the Year’ for Unprecedented Seventh Year in a Row
February 4, 2019
Cleary Gottlieb has been named the “Law Firm of the Year” in Latin America by LatinFinance for the seventh year in a row.
In announcing the award, LatinFinance said, “The firm is noted for its nuanced understanding of the business and legal culture in the region. Its clients include some of the biggest names in Latin America,” and awarded Cleary with eight Deal of the Year honors — more than any other firm — alongside the top 2018 prize.
The award-winning deals that the firm advised on include:
- Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (Petrobras) in a $4 billion liability management transaction
- The Province of Buenos Aires in a $1.5 billion Reg S/Rule 144A dual-tranche notes offering
- Petróleos Mexicanos (Pemex) in a $4 billion Reg S/Rule 144A notes offering & two concurrent liability management transactions
- Suzano Papel e Celulose S.A. in connection with the $9.2 billion merger with Fibria Celulose S.A.
- Oi S.A. in its $20 billion restructuring
- The United Mexican States in a €1.5 billion SEC-registered notes offering (won in two categories)
- The Dominican Republic in two 144A/Reg. S offerings, including $1 billion aggregate principal amount of bonds due 2048 and DOP40 billion aggregate principal amount of bonds due 2023 (payable in U.S. dollars)
The LatinFinance awards capped another outstanding year of Cleary’s Latin America practice earning recognition from the business and legal press for its work in the region. Highlights include:
- Winner of the 30th Anniversary Award for Excellence in Legal Services Across Latin America’s Capital Markets (only international law firm recognized) by LatinFinance
- Winner of Three Americas Awards (Debt & Equity Team of the Year, Bancolombia S.A.’s offering & related liability management transaction, Odebrecht restructuring) by IFLR
- Winner of Restructuring Deal of the Year (Odebrecht Óleo e Gás) by Latin Lawyer
- Winner of a Global Legal Award (Oi S.A. restructuring) by The American Lawyer
- Named Top Firm in Latin America for the third year in a row by Latinvex
- Named the only top-tier firm in three categories (Banking & Finance, Capital Markets, Corporate/M&A) for the tenth year in a row by Chambers Latin America