Adam Brenneman is known throughout Latin America as a “Rising Star,” whose innovative work on complex cross-border transactions includes some of the region’s largest capital markets, financing, and restructuring transactions.
His wide-ranging practice focuses on international corporate and financial transactions including capital markets, restructuring, financings, mergers and acquisitions, and public-private partnership (PPP) transactions.
Adam’s work has been lauded by Latinvex, The Legal 500 Latin America, The Legal 500 U.S., and others, and Turnarounds & Workouts spotlighted him as an “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer.” He is also a founding editor of the Emerging Markets Restructuring Journal.
Adam joined the firm in 2007 and became a partner in 2015.
IPOs, follow-on transaction, debut debt offerings, and secondary sales for issuers, underwriters, and investors in the following sectors in Latin America and the Caribbean:
- Consumer (Falabella; MallPlaza; Automotores Gildemeister, Maestro Perú; Office Depot de México; FAMSA; Telecom Argentina).
- Energy (Fenix Power Perú; Ienova; Transportadora de Gas del Sur S.A., MSU Energia; ENAP; Petrotrin).
- Transportation (ASUR; Aerostar Airport Holdings; Grupo Traxión; LATAM Airlines S.A.).
- Real estate (Corporación GEO; Desarrolladora Homex; Macquarie Mexican REIT).
- Finance (Banco del Estado de Chile; Davivienda; Grupo Financiero Promerica; Credito Real; Bancolombia; Banco Pichincha).
- Manufacturing/technology (Algoma; Kio Networks; Mabe; CMPC).
- Sovereign (the Province of Buenos Aires).
Bankruptcy and Restructuring
Some of the most groundbreaking restructuring assignments in Latin America in the past 10 years, including:
- Empresas ICA in the restructuring of over $3.5 billion of indebtedness through a Mexican concurso mercantil proceeding.
- Automotores Gildemeister in the 2016 and 2019 multijurisdictional restructurings of over $700 million of debt.
- Alsacia & Express in the restructuring of over $350 million of debt of through a Chapter 11 case.
- Casas GEO in over $1 billion of debt through a Mexican concurso proceeding.
- Autopistas del Sol and Hipotecaria Su Casita in voluntary exchange offers.
- Creditor committees in the restructurings of OGX ($5.8 billion), Mirabela Nickel ($395 million total debt), Gruma ($935 million of derivative debt), Comerci (CCM) ($3 billion of bank, derivative, and bond debt), Cap Cana ($275 million in bond debt), Arendal ($100 million exchange offer in 2017 and 2019), and Industrias Unidas ($420 million of indebtedness).
Fintech Investments in the closing of transactions undertaken in connection with a comprehensive settlement of the contested restructuring of Vitro, including the purchase and exchange of over $750 million of debt of Vitro and the acquisition by Fintech of a substantial equity interest in a Vitro subsidiary, and the related negotiation of secured structured financing arrangements and letter of credit facilities.
Corporate and Acquisition Finance
Complex and innovative financing transactions, including:
- Credit Suisse in a $600 million receivables-backed financing for Petrotrin.
- LATAM Airlines in a $200 million receivables financing from Santander.
- Grupo Los Grobo and Victoria Capital in connection with various financings.
- Various lenders in connection with loans to Mexican specialty finance company Alphacredit.
- CGC in connection with a club loan.
- Banco Pichincha in connection with an OPIC-guaranteed loan.
- Santander and Rabobank in Camposol’s $200 million credit facility.
- Syndicates of lenders led by Credit Suisse in over $500 million of loans to BioPappel; and in a $40 million senior secured guaranteed term loan facility for ESEASA Construcciones.
- Metrogas S.A. in connection with a $250 million senior unsecured term loan facility with Itaú Unibanco S.A and Industrial and Commercial Bank of China.
- Telecom Argentina S.A. in connection with a $400 million loan from the International Finance Corporation.
- A group of investors in the renegotiation of loans with Albanesi S.A.
- Morgan Stanley in a loan to Kaltex.
- Aeropuerto de Cancún, a wholly owned subsidiary of Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste, in the amendment and restatement of its existing $215 million credit agreement.
- Credit Suisse and BBVA Bancomer in a $686 million dual-currency senior secured acquisition financing for Grupo Gigante.
- Deutsche Bank in numerous financing transactions, including loans to the government of the Bahamas, the negotiation of a series of senior secured export prepayment loan facilities for Marfrig Alimentos and its subsidiary Seara Alimentos, an export prepayment loan facility for Camera Agroalimentos.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Strategic acquisitions and divestitures for companies and family offices:
- LATAM Airlines S.A. on its joint venture with Delta Airlines.
- Pampa Energía S.A. in a mandatory cash tender offer for the class B shares of Petrobras Argentina S.A. and voluntary exchange offer for the class B shares and American depositary shares of Petrobras Argentina.
- ASUR in its acquisition of an additional 10 percent interest in Aerostar.
- Fintech Telecom in its $959 million acquisition of a controlling stake in Telecom Argentina.
- BHP Billiton in the spinoff of its noncore businesses into South32.
- Hoteles City Express and ASUR in seed investments in technology companies.
- Fintech in forming the SeaMex joint venture with Seadrill to acquire, operate and manage jackup drilling rigs in Mexico.
- América Móvil in its acquisition of the capital stock of Estesa.
- Automotores Gildemeister in its acquisition of Fonedar.
- Fintech Energy in its investments in Emgasud.
- Vale in its $1.6 billion acquisition of holding interests in a potash project in Argentina and the Corumbá iron ore mine in Brazil from Rio Tinto.
- Fintech Investments in its investment in Banco Sabadell and Banco Monte dei Paschi di Siena.
Infrastructure & PPP Transactions
Highly structured PPP and project financings, such as:
- Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste in connection with various bids for airport operations.
- Aerostar Airport Holdings, a joint venture between Oaktree Capital and Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste, in a public-private partnership to operate the San Juan Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, the first major U.S. airport to be run by a private operator under the FAA’s Pilot Privatization Program, and related financings.
- Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority and the Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnerships Authority in connection with potential public-private partnership transactions, including the 2015 Request for Expressions of Interest.
FIFA in connection with the evaluation of the United States’ bid to host the 2026 World Cup.
“SPAC Sponsors Beware: The Rising Threat of Securities Liability,” (co-author with Nicolas Grabar and Jared Gerber) Cleary Gottlieb Alert Memorandum, October 21, 2020
“LATAM Market Development: Covid-19 and Its Implications on Private Sector Credits,” (co-author with Richard J. Cooper and Francisco Cestero) Cleary Gottlieb Alert Memorandum, March 31, 2020
“You Have Options: The Use of Alternative Dispute Resolution in Insolvency Proceedings,” (co-author with David Schwartz), Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law, October 1, 2017
“Turning Bust to Boom: P3 Initiatives Under PROMESA,” (co-author with Richard Cooper, Luke Barefoot and Antonio Pietrantoni), Law360, July 19, 2017
"A New World For LatAm Creditors: Insolvency Reform in Latin America," Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, June 2015
"U.S. State of Mind: How Latin American and other Non-U.S. Entities May Use Chapter 11 to Restructure Quickly," Bloomberg BNA’s Bankruptcy Law Reporter, June 11, 2015
"Is Peru’s Insolvency System Ready for Foreign Creditors?" IFLR, January 6, 2015
"Chile’s Insolvency Reforms Proceed with Caution," IFLR, July 8, 2014
"Airport Sales Take Off with LMM," Project Finance International, May 21, 2013
"Six Restructuring Questions for LatAm Investors," International Financial Law Review, May 1, 2013
"Expedited Restructurings in the U.S. and Select Latin American and Caribbean Jurisdictions," Journal of Bankruptcy Law, November 1, 2011
May 07, 2020
June 26, 2019
October 03, 2018
September 27, 2017
September 12, 2017
June 10, 2015
April 13, 2015