Emmanuel Ronco’s practice focuses on intellectual property and technology, as well as privacy, personal data protection, and cybersecurity.
He has experience in transactional, advisory, and contentious matters in all these areas, including:
- all intellectual property and data protection aspects of corporate transactions such as private and public mergers and acquisitions (from due diligence, structuring and negotiation), capital market transactions or joint ventures (from creation to dissolution);
- transfers of technology by way of transfers of ownership or licenses;
- transactions involving joint ownership of intellectual property or the splitting and coexistence of trademark portfolios;
- distribution and franchise agreements;
- use of intellectual property assets as collateral in the context of financing agreements;
- treatment of intellectual property assets in group reorganizations, restructuring and insolvency;
- IT transactions, including those involving outsourcing, SaaS, ERP systems, etc.;
- cross-border and French litigation, including claims of intellectual property infringement, as well as passing off, unfair and parasitic competition claims;
- data protection aspects of cross-border litigation, internal compliance investigations, or enforcement actions involving discovery or other privacy-related questions;
- assistance in the prevention and handling of cyber-breaches, including with respect to data protection authorities;
- data protection aspects of banking regulations, fintech and crypto-currency matters;
- preparation and implementation of GDPR compliance programs.
Emmanuel joined the firm in 2007 and became counsel in 2013.
Intellectual Property Transactions
Consumer Goods and Services
- Accor in connection with the acquisition of the Mövenpick hotel-related brands.
- Lavazza in its €710 million acquisition of the « Carte Noire » brand in Europe from JDE.
- Carte Noire is several trademark and unfair competition related matters.
- International Flavors and Fragrances (IFF) in its €283 million acquisition of Lucas Meyer Cosmetics and other transactions.
- FEMSA in a $7.35 billion strategic exchange of its beer operations for a stake of up to 20% in Heineken.
Luxury and Fashion
- LVMH in its acquisition of a majority stake in high-end luggage manufacturer Rimowa.
- Tom Ford International in connection with its French and other European operations.
- Hanesbrands in its €400 million acquisition of DBApparel from Sun Capital Partners.
- Puma in its acquisition of the Cobra golf club business from Fortune Brands.
- Google in connection with several M&A transactions and litigation.
- OpenText Corp. in its acquisition of Liaison Technologies Inc. for a total enterprise value of approximately $310 million in cash.
- Cision, a leading media communication technology and analytics company, in connection with the acquisition of 100% of the shares of L’Argus de la Presse, a Paris-based provider of media monitoring solutions.
- General Motors Co. in the €1.3 billion sale of its Opel/Vauxhall subsidiary and in the €0.9 billion sale of its GM Financial’s European operations to PSA Group.
- Honeywell International Inc. in the spin-off of Resideo Technologies Inc., Honeywell’s former Homes and ADI Global Distribution business.
- Thales in connection with the divestment of its General Purpose Hardware Security Module business to Entrust Datacard.
- Alstom in its contemplated acquisition of the Siemens mobility business.
- Lafarge in several transactions including in the divestment of €6.5 billion of assets as part of its merger with Holcim and the €1.2 billion sale of its gypsum businesses.
- Umicore in its acquisition of Freeport-McMoRan’s cobalt refining and cathode precursor operations in Kokkola, Finland.
- ABB in connection with the sale of its solar inverter business to Italian company FIMER S.p.A and other transactions.
- OMV AG in connection with its acquisition of a 15% interest in Abu Dhabi National Oil Company Refining and a to-be-established global-trading joint venture for approximately $2.5 billion.
- Hanon Systems, a South Korean auto parts maker, in its acquisition of Magna International’s global Fluid Pressure & Controls business, for approximately $1.23 billion.
- Sogefi in its €150 million acquisition of Mark IV Systèmes Moteurs, a producer of air intake and engine cooling systems, from Mark IV.
- Nortel Networks Inc. and affiliates in the sales of their various business lines, including the sale of its wireless infrastructure assets to Ericsson for $1.13 billion.
- Total in its acquisition of the Gerber baby care division from Nestle and its $500 million disposal of its Mapa Spontex baby care and home care businesses to Jarden Corporation.
- EDF in the purchase of Constellation’s 50% stake in Unistar Nuclear Energy.
- Rexel in its €3.1 billion acquisition of Hagemeyer and subsequent on-sale of Hagemeyer businesses to Sonepar.
- Merck & Co. on IP issues in connection with the dissolution of its European vaccines joint venture with Sanofi Pasteur.
- PDL BioPharma, Inc. in its investment in Noden Pharma DAC and in Noden Pharma DAC’s acquisition from Novartis AG of worldwide intellectual property rights.
- IMS Health (now IQVIA) in its €385 million acquisition of certain Cegedim information solutions and CRM businesses and multiple other matters.
Banking and Financial Institutions
- BNP Paribas in its acquisition of Compte-Nickel and other matters.
- BPCE in connection with its proposed long-term partnership with Auchan Holding via BPCE’s acquisition of a 50.1% interest in Oney Bank SA.
- Coface in the context of a possible carve out of export credit insurance given by Coface to French exporters with a transfer of such activity to BPI France.
- Itaú Unibanco in its R$2.77 billion acquisition of Citigroup’s Brazilian consumer finance business.
- A TPG-led consortium in its proposed acquisition of a 30% stake in jewelry brand APM Monaco.
- CVC Capital Partners in its acquisition of Campbell Soup Company’s European businesses, and in its exit sale of Continental Foods to GBfoods, a division of Spanish food group Agrolimen.
- Tikehau Capital in connection with the acquisition of Sofidy from its historic family shareholders and in the mandatory takeover bid for Selectirente.
- Latour Capital and Bpifrance in connection with their consortium acquisition of the environment division of Plastic Omnium.
Advice to French State
- The French State in the intellectual property-related aspects of the acquisition of Alstom’s nuclear turbine business by General Electric.
- The French State in an IP-related arbitration under the investment treaty between Turkey and France.
Privacy and Personal Data Protection
Transactional matters, including with respect to data protection aspects of cross-border acquisitions, restructuring, outsourcing, and cloud computing.
Assistance in investigations by French or foreign authorities, including the FTC, SEC, and DOJ, as well as advice for companies listed on a U.S. stock exchange in the implementation of whistleblower procedures in Europe in accordance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act.
Advice on data breaches, data transfer outside the European Economic Area, controller/processor relationships, “adtech,” and data consumer issues.
Google in connection with the “right to be forgotten” before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
Preparation and adoption of IT policies, codes of conduct, privacy agreements, and other compliance documentation.
Advisor to the French High Council for Biotechnology on intellectual property matters.
Second Annual ABA Cross-Border Discovery Institute: The Interplay between E.U. Data Protection and U.S. Discovery, July 26, 2018.
Hearing before the Commission of Laws of the French National Assembly in connection with the reform of French intellectual property law.