Michael Brems’s practice focuses on corporate transactions, particularly domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and employment law matters in Germany.
Michael joined the firm in 1996 and became counsel in 2004. He was resident in the New York office (1998-1999) and the Frankfurt office (1996-1997 and 1999-2004).
Lavazza in its acquisition of the worldwide Drinks business from Mars.
3M in the sale of its communication markets business to Corning.
General Motors in the sale of its Opel/Vauxhall business and GM Financial’s European operations to PSA Group.
LVMH in its acquisition of RIMOWA.
OpenText in its acquisition of Recommind and its acquisition of the worldwide ECD business from Dell EMC.
International Flavors & Fragrances in its acquisition of Fragrance Resources.
Dow Chemical in its sale of Safechem.
Asahi Kasei in its acquisition of Polypore International and the back-to-back sale of the worldwide separations media business to 3M.
Henry Schein in its acquisition of scil animal care company.
Westlake Chemical Corporation in its acquisition of Vinnolit.
Kawa in its acquisition of the photovoltaic business of Conergy out of insolvency.
Altana in its acquisition of the rheology additives business of Rockwood.
SPIE in its acquisition of the service solutions business of Hochtief Solutions.
Booz & Company in its acquisition of Management Engineers.
A Mittal family trust in the acquisition of the business of ESCADA out of insolvency.
Deutsche Postbank in the acquisition of BHW Holding.
All employment law aspects of M&A transactions and corporate restructurings.
Management contracts and their termination.
Workforce restructurings in Germany.
Works council and co-determination issues.
- “German Government Plans to Reduce Dismissal Protection for “Risk Takers” in the Financial Sector,” Cleary M&A and Corporate Governance Watch blog, December 4, 2018 (with Falko Maurer)
- The Executive Remuneration Review, Law Business Research, seventh edition, 2018, chapter on Germany.
- “Workers on Boards: Thoughts from Europe,” Oxford Business Law Blog, May 3, 2017 (with Loïc Peltzer, Melissa Reid, Jerome Hartemann and Peter Werdmuller of Werdmuller & Co. B.V.).
- “Die (rechtzeitige) Unterrichtung des Wirtschaftsausschusses beim Unternehmensverkauf,” Der Betrieb 2017, p. 1513 et seq. (with Sophia Croonenbrock).
- “Die Europäische Privatgesellschaft (SPE) als Baustein des internationalen Konzerns,” Der Konzern 2008, p. 629 et seq. (with Klaus Cannivé).
- “BGH schränkt Cash Pool-System ein,” Die Börsen-Zeitung, January 25, 2006 (with Tobias Tillmann).
- German Takeover Law – A Commentary, C.H. Beck (Eds. Gabriele Apfelbacher, Stephan Barthelmess, Thomas Buhl and Christoph von Dryander, 2002, Sections 18-22, 40-47.