Nicholas Levy’s practice focuses on EU and U.K. antitrust law.
Consistently recognized by Chambers as one of the leading antitrust lawyers in Europe, Nick was named Global Competition Review’s “Dealmaker of the Year” in 2015.
He has extensive experience in notifying mergers and joint ventures under the EU Merger Regulation, coordinating the notification of international transactions, and advising on all aspects of antitrust law, including anti-cartel enforcement, collaborative arrangements, vertical agreements and unilateral conduct.
Nick joined the firm in 1990 and became a partner in 1999.
Abbott Laboratories on its announced acquisition of St. Jude Medical.
- BASF in its successful appeal of a European Commission cartel decision.
Chemours in the European Commission’s ongoing investigation into its collaboration with Honeywell.
The Coca-Cola Company in its landmark settlement with the European Commission.
Euronext in connection with the possible combination of Deutsche Börse and London Stock Exchange.
DuPont in transactions involving ICI, Hoechst, Sabanci, Agfa, Teijin, and others.
Google in the European Commission’s on-going investigation into its Android business.
HCA in its successful challenge to a decision of the U.K. Competition and Markets Authority.
IMS Health in its successful appeal of a European Commission interim measures decision, and on the global antitrust aspects of its merger of equals with Quintiles.
Johnson Controls on its combination with Tyco.
Lafarge on a U.K. joint venture with Anglo American and its merger with Holcim.
Molson Coors in its acquisition of assets from AB InBev and SABMiller.
NYSE Euronext on its then-contemplated merger with Deutsche Börse.
Ryanair on its then-proposed acquisition of, and minority shareholding in, Aer Lingus.
Sony Corporation of America on the SONY BMG recorded music joint venture and its acquisition of EMI Music Publishing.
UTC on General Electric’s then-proposed acquisition of Honeywell.
The Walt Disney Company in connection with a U.K. investigation into the pay-TV sector.
- “The EU Commission fines a company for providing incorrect or misleading information during its investigation on a merger (Facebook / WhatsApp)”, by François-Charles Laprévote, Maurits Dolmans, Thomas Graf, Nicholas Levy, Francisco Enrique González-Díaz and Christopher Cook, e-Competitions, No. 84276, June 2017, pp. 1-4.
- “European Merger Control Law: A Guide to the Merger Regulation,” by Nicholas Levy (annual publication)
- “Article 101 and the Merger Regulation: A Single Analytical Framework?,” by Nicholas Levy, The Notion of Restriction of Competition (January 2017)
- “A Comparative Assessment of the EU’s Reforms to Merger Control and Antitrust Enforcement,” by Nicholas Levy, Sven Frisch and Alexander Waksman, European Competition Journal, Vol. 11, No. 2-3, pp. 426-464 (January 2016)
- “Why Competition Commissioners Should Be Cautious in Commenting Publicly on Active Antitrust Cases,” by Nicholas Levy and Andris Rimsa, European Competition Law Review, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 1-7 (January 2015)
- “Expanding EU Merger Control to Non-Controlling Minority Shareholdings: A Sledgehammer to Crack a Nut?,” by Nicholas Levy, CPI Antitrust Chronicle, Vol. 12, No. 1 (December 2014)
- “Access to Evidence in UK Merger Inquiries and Market Investigations: A Critical Commentary,” by Nicholas Levy, Paul Stuart and Ian Hastings, European Competition Journal, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 279-310 (August 2014)
- “EU Merger Control and Non-Controlling Minority Shareholdings: The Case Against Change,” by Nicholas Levy, European Competition Journal, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 721-753 (December 2013)
- “Missing the mark? – The Government’s overhaul of the UK’s Competition Regime,” by Nicholas Levy and Paul Gilbert, Legal Week (September 2011)
- September 28, 2017
GCR Live 5th Annual Conference - New York
- July 4-5, 2017
GCR Live 9th Annual Conference - Brussels
- June 2, 2017
Columbia Law School Antitrust Conference: Law, Competition and Markets: Do Antitrust Laws Enhance Competition and Lead to More Efficient Markets? - Paris
- May 15-18, 2017
IBC’s Legal Advanced Competition Law Conference - London
- February 28, 2017
Brussels School of Competition - the Google Unpacked - A Review of the Ongoing EU Antitrust Cases
- November 29, 2016
OECD Competition Committee Meetings - Best Practice Roundtables on Competition Policy
- November 18, 2016
Association of Competition Economics 14th Annual Conference
- November 07, 2016
GCR Live 4th Annual Conference - New York
- April 13, 2016
IBC’s Legal Merger Control 2016 - Brussels
- February 26, 2016
Oxford University Centre for Competition Law & Policy Lecture Series
- February 1-2, 2016
Global Competition Law Centre 11th Annual Conference - The Notion of Restriction of Competition: Revisiting the Foundations of Antitrust Enforcement in Europe - Brussels
- October 19, 2015
New York University Law School - Guest Lecture
- September 30, 2015
Fordham University 42nd Annual Conference on International Antitrust Law and Policy
- October 21, 2014
Columbia University - Guest Lecture
- June 19, 2014
Tilburg Law and Economics Center Seminar “European Merger Policy”