Thomas Kopp’s practice focuses on financial institutions, corporate and sovereign clients and covers a broad range of practice areas, including corporate governance, regulatory compliance and enforcement, capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, and dispute resolution, in a post-transactional context or otherwise.
By virtue of his broad-based experience, Thomas often represents clients in matters requiring a holistic perspective on complex legal issues across multiple practice areas. In the financial institutions sector, for example, clients turn to Thomas for advice on German corporate governance and regulatory compliance and enforcement matters, such as insider trading, market manipulation or disclosure issues. In dispute resolution, including both litigation and arbitration, Thomas typically represents clients in complex cross-border matters involving a procedural, substantive or factual nexus to Germany, bringing to bear his transactional experience of more than two decades—for example, he represents corporate clients in post-M&A disputes, and he defends sovereign clients in bondholder litigation typically ensuing in the aftermath of sovereign debt restructuring measures.
Thomas joined the firm in 1995 and became a partner in 2002. He was resident in the London office from 1997 to 2000.
A leading car manufacturer in administrative and other matters relating to Diesel emissions.
KIA Motors Corporation in an appeal to the Frankfurt Higher Regional Court against a judgment rendered by the Frankfurt Regional Court against KIA Motors Corporation in connection with a “raw data” controversy. In a landmark decision, the Frankfurt Higher Regional Court dismissed this judgment in favor of KIA.
The Hellenic Republic in the defense against several actions brought by investors of Greek Government bonds that were restructured in 2012.
The Republic of Argentina in numerous litigations brought in Austria and Germany by bondholders affected by Argentina’s default with respect to approximately $100 billion in external indebtedness.
A German financial institution in sanctions proceedings relating to compliance matters.
A German technology company in an ICC arbitration with Zurich seat under German law relating to an intellectual property dispute.
Pixelpark, part of the Publicis Groupe, against activist shareholders in several proceedings before the Regional Court in Berlin in connection with a contested capital increase in kind.
Owens Corning in a general commercial litigation arising out of the termination of a distribution agreement.
The Bank of America in a US-based litigation brought by DZ Bank.
The German subsidiary of an international bank in litigation against investors in connection with options purchased by them for shares in a German DAX company.
- GIR Know How: Securities and Related Investigations, co-author of Germany chapter, 2017, 2016, 2015 updates (with Valentin Pfisterer).
- Frankfurter Kommentar zum WpPG und EU-ProspektVO, dfv Mediengruppe, (Editors Dr. Carsten Berrar, Dr. Andreas Meyer, Cordula Müller, Dr. York Schnorbus, Dr. Bernd Singhof, Dr. Christoph Wolf), 2nd edition, 2017 (with Richard Bauer, Okko Hendrik Behrends, Manuel Metzner, Dr. Mark K. Oulds, Dr. Oliver Seiler and Tilman Wink).
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place – Legal Pitfalls of Voluntary Cooperation of German Companies with German and Foreign Regulatory and Law Enforcement Authorities, Compliance Elliance Journal (CEJ), Volume 2, Number 2, 2016 (with Valentin Pfisterer).
- Vorauseilender Gehorsam? Die Übermittlung personenbezogener Daten durch Unternehmen im Rahmen freiwilliger Kooperation mit Aufsichts- und Ermittlungsbehörden – Teil 1, CCZ 3/2015, p. 98-105; - Teil 2, CZZ 4/2015, p. 151-156 (with Dr. Valentin Pfisterer).
- Die richterliche Überzeugung von der Wahrheit und der Indizienbeweis im Zivilprozess, JR 2/2015, p. 51-59 (with Dr. Johannes Schmidt).
- Derivate, in Habersack/Mülbert/Schlitt, Unternehmensfinanzierung am Kapitalmarkt, 2. Auflage 2013 (with Dr. Gabriele Apfelbacher).
- Rechtliche Aspekte der Finanzierung des Rückkaufs von Wandelschuldverschreibungen durch vorherige Kapitalerhöhung oder Emission neuer Wandelschuldverschreibungen, AG 2012, 856 (with Manuel Metzner).
- Pflichtwandelanleihen als sonstiges (hybrides) Kernkapital, Corporate Finance Law, February 2011 (with Dr. Gabriele Apfelbacher).
- New Rules for the Acquisition of Financial Institutions in Germany: The Implementation of the EU Acquisitions Directive, The Banking Law Journal, June 2009 (with Dr. Gabriele Apfelbacher, Christof von Dryander, Sabine Funke).
- Der Immunitätsverzicht in Staatsanleihen und seine Reichweite, Zeitschrift für Vergleichende Rechtswissenschaft, November 2003 (with Prof. Dr. Thomas Pfeiffer).
- Finanz- und Ertragslage des Emittenten in Verkaufs- und Börsenzulassungsprospekten – Darstellung und Analyse, RIW 2002, 661.