CFTC Approves Amendments to Whistleblower Rules Including Significant Enhancements of its Anti-Retaliation Protections
May 25, 2017
On May 22, 2017, the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”) unanimously approved amendments to the rules governing its whistleblower program.
Among other changes, the amendments:
- Significantly strengthen whistleblower protections against retaliation,
- Preclude reliance on confidentiality or arbitration clauses that would prevent employees from reporting to the CFTC,
- Clarify that the CFTC itself may bring enforcement actions for violation of the anti-retaliation rules (in addition to private enforcement),
- Revise and clarify the whistleblower eligibility criteria, and
- Amend certain procedural aspects of the whistleblower program.