Pedro Martini’s practice focuses on arbitration, litigation, and investigation matters, involving complex, cross-border issues.
Pedro has experience in a variety of arbitration disputes administered by international and Brazilian institutions, in particular, in M&A, private equity, commercial, and construction disputes. Pedro has also worked in a number of cross-border disputes and enforcement matters related to corruption investigations, including representing companies and individuals in litigation proceedings before U.S. Federal Courts.
Pedro joined the firm in 2015.
Belgian consumer goods manufacturer in an ICC arbitration seated in Sao Paulo, relating to claims for accounting misrepresentations in violation of a sale and purchase agreement.
Italian company in an arbitration under Swiss Rules (SCAI) with Zurich seat pursuant to Swiss and Italian law relating to violations of a sale and purchase agreement
Brazilian investment fund in an ICC arbitration seated in London and governed by Brazilian law, brought by several investment companies
Petrobras, PGF, and current and former officers and directors in securities class action and 29 individual actions in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York in connection with Operation Carwash — reportedly the largest corruption scandal in Latin American history
LATAM Airlines and its affiliates in contested motions in connection with the voluntary reorganization and restructuring of their debt under Chapter 11 protection in the United States.
Former officers of BRF S.A. in federal securities class action litigation arising out of investigations in Brazil.
Enforcement and Investigations
Special committee of the board of directors of GOL Linhas Aereas Inteligentes S.A., in an independent investigation and representation before U.S. authorities of FCPA allegations relating to bribery
Vale S.A. in an SEC investigation into securities disclosures related to the Company’s dam safety in the wake of the 2019 Brumadinho dam collapse in Brazil.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – CIArb
- Advisory Board of the Foreign Direct Investment International Arbitration Moot
Published and presented several papers on contracts and commercial and investment arbitration, including:
- “Possible Contributions of the CISG and the UNIDROIT Principles to Exemption of Liability Under Brazilian Contractual Law”, Contractual Law and the Vienna Convention (CISG), Almedina, 2021.
- Brazil’s New Investment Treaties: Outside Looking … Out? Kluwer Arbitration Blog, 2015.
- “Reading Article 4 with Article 7 Glasses: Shaping the CISG’s Material Scope” Boundaries and Intersections: 5th Annual MAA Schlechtriem CISG Conference, Eleven International Publishing, 2014.
- “Two Sides of the Same Coin: To What Extent Is Arbitration with the Brazilian Administration Equal to Investment-Treaty Arbitration?” (co-Author) Investment Protection in Brazil, Kluwer, 2013.
CAM-CCBC - Brazil As Seat of Arbitration: Future Perspectives – March 16, 2021, Webinar
Young ICCA Skills Training Workshop “Oral Advocacy in International Arbitration” – May 7, 2018 – Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
ICC YAF: Preparing for the Willem C. Vis Moot: Topics discussed by experts – March 8, 2018 – Curitiba, Brazil