Nuts & Bolts of Starting a Non-Profit — Blackconnect.org
April 14, 2021
Attorneys from Cleary Gottlieb, in partnership with Black Connect, presented an educational webinar on The Nuts & Bolts of Starting a Nonprofit. The session covered everything from preliminary considerations through ongoing compliance and governance, and was intended to give newly-forming organizations the key information they need to decide on next steps.
Cleary’s Amanda Brown, David Seidman, Katherine Hughes, Chantal Kordula, Nimat Lawal, and Rachel Shapiro provided an overview of the key building blocks to forming a successful nonprofit, including:
- Preliminary considerations to help determine whether to form a nonprofit
- Legal entity formation basics
- Nonprofit governance documents and best practices
- Applying for federal tax-exempt status under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3)
- Charitable Solicitation Requirements
- Best Practices to Ensure Success
This training was part of a series of legal basics modules intended to help support Black-owned and founded small businesses, entrepreneurs, and nonprofit organizations avoid costly mistakes and build sustainable businesses. For more information about the event, click here.