Cleary Gottlieb Counsel in Multiple Asian “Deals of the Year”
April 14, 2010
Cleary Gottlieb was counsel in five Asian capital markets offerings in 2009 recognized by one or more of Asian-Counsel, FinanceAsia, India Business Law Journal, Islamic Finance Asia and Islamic Finance News as “Deals of the Year.” The winning transactions include:
- PETRONAS’ $1.5 billion global sukuk offering, one of the largest-ever global sukuk transactions. This matter is one of Asian-Counsel’s “Deals of the Year,” one of Islamic Finance Asia’s “Top Ten Deals of the Year” and Islamic Finance News’ “Corporate Finance Deal of the Year.” Cleary Gottlieb advised the Malaysian-owned oil and gas company as issuer in this transaction and in its concurrent $3 billion notes offering.
- SK Telecom’s $300 million convertible bond offering – FinanceAsia’s “Best Korean Deal of the Year.” The firm represented SK Telecom as issuer.
- Bank of America’s $2.8 billion block trade of China Construction Bank shares – FinanceAsia’s “Best Secondary Offering of the Year.” The firm represented Bank of America as selling shareholder in this transaction, as well as in Bank of America’s subsequent $7.3 billion block trade, the two largest block trades ever in Asia.
- Republic of Korea’s $3 billion dual tranche issue – FinanceAsia’s “Best Sovereign Bond of the Year.” Cleary Gottlieb was counsel to the Republic of Korea.
- Tata Steel’s $500 million GDR offering – the largest-ever Indian GDR issue in London and India Business Law Journal’s “Capital Markets Deal of the Year.” The firm represented Tata Steel as issuer.
Asian-Counsel, a monthly magazine addressing the concerns of in-house lawyers across Asia, provides analysis of vital legal, regulatory and business issues, along with news and profiles of leading in-house practitioners. FinanceAsia is a monthly publication that focuses on Asia and its capital markets. India Business Law Journal, published by Vantage Asia Publishing Limited ten times per year, provides insight into the legal market by highlighting the work of lawyers and law firms in India and overseas. Islamic Finance Asia is a free bi-monthly magazine published by REDmoney Group featuring news and articles on insights as to what Islamic finance market leaders are involved in and Islamic Finance News is a subscription-based, capital markets-focused publication featuring editorial coverage of the global Islamic financing market.