Cleary Gottlieb Garners Premier Chambers Global 2021 Rankings
February 18, 2021
Cleary Gottlieb continues to garner outstanding recognition as a premier international law firm in the latest edition of Chambers Global.
Cleary earned 259 practice and lawyer rankings in the 2021 guide, 46 of which were top-tier.
Commendations for our firm and lawyers included:
- Arbitration (International): “Receiving compliments from sources, the team is said to ‘manage good coordination among its different offices and departments.’” (Global Market Leaders)
- Banking & Finance: “They are the Rolls-Royce of international firms. You know you will get quality. The team as a whole is tremendously talented, extremely reliable and very attentive. They are a pleasure to deal with and you feel entirely in safe hands.” (Global-wide)
- Capital Markets: “Cleary has offices in many countries and is very well equipped to handle multijurisdictional transactions… [A]ll their global offices are top-notch, peerless among global law firms… They’re excellent at cross-border work, it’s their bread and butter.” (Global-wide)
- Competition/Antitrust: “Cleary Gottlieb is described as ‘a top-class outfit’ and is considered to be ‘tremendous in Europe’ for merger control matters… Clients are quick to confirm that the team is ‘outstanding,’ highlighting that it is ‘quick to respond, effective, efficient,’ and adding that it has ‘a large team of lawyers who can work on a case if needed with huge experience.’” (Global-wide)
- Corporate Investigations: “They have a very solid bench, they’re very good in terms of global connections, and they have colleagues across the globe – a great international firm.”; “It’s a first-rate practice and they have a great global footprint for matters like FCPA. A go-to top-tier firm, particularly for international work.” (Global-wide)
- Corporate/M&A: “You can be confident you will always get good quality from their offices outside the U.S. They do a great job of managing all of the complexities associated with doing a deal in eight different countries.” (Global-wide)
- Dispute Resolution: “They have a very international approach – that is why it is nice to work with them. They have a lot of experience in cross-border matters – they are well aware of the differences of legal culture.” (Global-wide)
- Investment Funds: “Clients laud the firm’s ‘very talented group’ of lawyers for being ‘extremely well versed, technically competent and down to earth.”; “[They are] ‘commercially astute, proactive and tireless.’” (Global-wide)
- Public International Law: “[They are] ‘very strong in assembling advice from different jurisdictions and areas of law.’” (Global Market Leaders)
- Restructuring/Insolvency: “Cleary provides some of the most thoughtful and clear-headed advice in the bankruptcy business. The firm’s culture encourages developing creative approaches to problems, and the team very often has an unmatched ability to simplify even the most complex issues.” (Global-wide)
- Tax: “Cleary Gottlieb’s tax team is described by commentators as ‘top-level, with a sophisticated multidisciplinary and multijurisdictional approach which is able to address and solve very complex and novel issues.’” (Global-wide)
Chambers Global, which covers over 190 countries and includes regional and global sections, overall cited a wide range of client and competitor feedback about the strength of Cleary’s capabilities across practices, industries, and regions.
To view the firm’s complete Chambers Global 2021 rankings, click here.