Cleary Gottlieb Makes Impressive Debut in Inaugural Chambers Asia 2008 Rankings
October 29, 2007
Cleary Gottlieb received outstanding results in the inaugural Chambers Asia 2008 Client’s Guide. The publication covers the entire Asian continent and over 20 areas of law, ranking the leading law firms and lawyers across the region. Evidencing the firm’s strength in the region, Chambers Asia distinguishes nine Cleary Gottlieb practices and eight Cleary Gottlieb lawyers working in China/Hong Kong, Hong Kong, India, Philippines and South Korea, and also recognizes the firm’s “Asia-wide” work.
The following Cleary Gottlieb practices are recognized for being among the best in their respective regions based on Chambers Asia’s interviews with firm clients and competitors:
- Capital Markets: Debt & Equity: “Cleary is one of the most established firms in the region, practising out of its Hong Kong office since 1980 and specialising in complex capital markets transactions throughout Asia … Observers agree: ‘It is fair to say that Cleary dominates the South Korean market.’”
- Corporate/M&A & Private Equity: “Clients praise the Hong Kong team for being ‘responsive and to the point - it always carries the weight we need to push a deal through.’”
- Investment Funds: Private Equity: “The firm’s enviable reputation in Asia’s investment funds markets rests primarily on the strength of its private equity practice … Lawyers in the Hong Kong office are particularly praised for the quality of their advice on downstream investment structuring.”
- Capital Markets: International & Hong Kong Law: Debt and Equity: “Commended for both its debt and equity work, the capital markets team fields US and UK-qualified lawyers who work across the region, from India and Indonesia to the PRC.”
- Private Equity: Buyouts: “Clients appreciate the firm’s ‘strong international deal advice and ability to work globally across all its offices.’ The team in Hong Kong is commended as ‘strong on transactional work.’”
- Overseas Experts: Corporate & Finance: “‘Among the finest international law firms in the world with a first-class approach to problem solving, it is particularly flexible in meeting our requirements and providing helpful solutions,’ say enthused happy clients of this successful India practice.”
- Overseas Experts: “Involved in the region since the 1980s, the firm focuses on debt-related transactions. It continues to represent several major international clients in a range of high-profile bond offerings.”
- Overseas Experts: “Widely renowned for its South Korea practice, the firm has ‘bags of experience’ of working in the region … However, its ‘undisputed’ capital markets practice is what makes the firm ‘stand out from the crowd.’”
The Cleary Gottlieb lawyers distinguished by Chambers Global as leading lawyers in the world are:
- Clay Johnson for Capital Markets: International & Hong Kong Law: Debt and Equity.
- David Hirsch for Capital Markets: International & Hong Kong Law: Equity.
- Filip Moerman for Private Equity: Buyouts.
- Pierre-Yves Chabert and Nikhil Mehta for Overseas Experts: Corporate/M&A.
- Robert Williams for Overseas Experts.
- Jinduk Han and Yong Lee for Overseas Experts.
For the full text of these rankings, please visit the Chambers’ website at http://www.chambersandpartners.com/Asia.