Elisabeth Macher’s practice focuses on international arbitration and litigation, as well as intellectual property and data protection matters.
A particular focus of Elisabeth’s litigation work is antitrust litigation including cartel follow-on damages actions. In this area, Elisabeth has worked on major international cases, some of them resulting in landmark judgments. She also advises clients in the technology and automotive sector. Elisabeth was on secondment for six months in the legal department of Robert Bosch GmbH from 2016 to 2017, where she drafted and negotiated complex international contracts with automotive suppliers.
Elisabeth joined the firm in 2012.
- Presentation on international jurisdiction and applicable law for cartel damages claims (conference hosted by the Deutsch-Amerikanische Juristen-Vereinigung – DAJV –, Frankfurt, 2017).
- Guest lecturer on legal professional privilege under German and US law at the University of Bonn, Germany (2014).
- “BGH Rules That Violation of a Jurisdiction Agreement May Result in Liability for Counsel Fees,” Cleary Gottlieb Alert Memorandum, December 9, 2019 (with Richard Kreindler, Harry Nettlau, Matthias Schrader, Johannes Schmidt, Rüdiger Harms and Patrick Gerardy)
- “European Data Protection Authorities Explore U.S. CLOUD Act’s Potential Impact on the GDPR,” Cleary Gottlieb Alert Memorandum, September 3, 2019 (with Natascha Gerlach) (republished by the Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog)
- “GDPR and Domain Names—Restricting Contact Information Collected Via The WHOIS Service,” LexisNexis, July 19, 2018
- “Making a contribution. Contribution claims between German cartelists pose difficult questions,” Competition Law Insight, February 17, 2015, p. 14 et seq. (with Rüdiger Harms)
- “Calculating Trade Secret Damages in International Arbitrations: An Analysis of Trade Secret Protection in Major EU Member States and the USA,” The Journal of Damages in International Arbitration (with Jeffrey M. Buchakjian)
- CJEU invalidates Safe Harbor - Impact on transatlantic data transfers, alert memorandum, 2015.
- Düsseldorf Court of Appeals Upholds Dismissal of CDC Damage Claims in Cartel Follow-on Action, alert memorandum, 2015.
- Düsseldorf Court Dismisses CDC Damage Claims in Antitrust Follow-on Action, alert memorandum, 2014.
- European Parliament Passes Directive on Antitrust Follow on Damages Actions, alert memorandum, 2014.
- “Data Protection at Europol”, Publications Office of the European Union, 2011.
June 22, 2017