Jackie Holland’s practice focuses on EU and UK antitrust enforcement, merger control, State aid/subsidies, competition litigation, market investigations, and sectoral regulation.
She represents clients before the Competition and Markets Authority, the European Commission, and sectoral regulators, as well as in litigation in the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal and the European Court of Justice.
Jackie brings to her client work more than 25 years of experience in the public and private sectors. She has particular insight into the working practices of the competition authorities having spent five years in senior positions at the Office of Fair Trading, including Senior Director of the Policy Group and a Phase 1 decision-maker for mergers. She helped to reform the agency’s merger control regime and antitrust procedures, and introduced a Procedural Officer to oversee the agency’s casework.
Jackie joined the firm as a partner in 2021.
Giphy on the CMA’s Phase 2 investigation into Meta’s acquisition of Giphy, Meta’s appeal to the Competition Appeal Tribunal, and on the CMA’s second Phase 2 investigation on remittal.
Google on the CMA’s mobile ecosystems market study.
Veolia Environnement, the global leader in optimized resources management, in its successful €12.9 billion acquisition of Suez.
Prior to joining Cleary, Jackie’s notable experience included:
The Stars Group on its merger with Flutter Entertainment.
Elanco on its proposed acquisition of Bayer’s Animal Health Business.
Salesforce on its acquisition of Tableau Software.
Dignity on the CMA’s market investigation into funerals and crematoria services.
Vocalink on its acquisition by Mastercard, which was cleared by the CMA at Phase 1 following the submission of a package of behavioural undertakings.
HM Treasury on the alternative State aid remedies package agreed with the European Commission in relation to RBS’s retail and SME banking business, Williams & Glyn.
BEIS (formerly DECC) on successfully obtaining State aid approval for the UK government’s support for the construction of Hinkley Point C nuclear power station, on its intervention in the appeal to the General Court brought by Austria against the approval, and on a number of renewable energy projects.
- Non-Governmental Adviser, International Competition Network
- Law Society of England Wales – Competition Section
- European Competition Lawyers Forum
- European State Aid Law Association
- Discussant, Sustainability, Competition Law, and Greenwashing, January 2023
- Panelist, Recent Developments in Competition Policy, October 2022
- Moderator, GCR Live: Global Merger Control 2022, October 2022
- Panelist, The UK’s National Security Screening Regime: The First Six Months, June 2022
- Panelist, UK Antitrust Enforcement: One Year After Brexit, March 2022
- Panelist, Antitrust and Merger Control for Institutional Investors and PE Firms: Recent Developments, Current Issues, and Challenges, June 2021
- Moderator, International Competition Network Heads of Agency webinar on Merger Remedies, March 2021
- Panelist, Competition Law Forum/BIICL webinar on Sustainability Considerations in Competition Enforcement, March 2021