Louise M. Parent’s practice focuses on corporate governance and banking and financial institutions.
Louise previously served as General Counsel and Executive Vice President of American Express from 1993 until 2013, and was a member of the company’s Operating Committee, Global Management Team and Enterprise Risk Management Committees. She was a director of American Express Travel Related Service Company, the company’s principal operating subsidiary, and American Express Centurion Bank, a U.S. banking subsidiary with assets exceeding $30 billion. She also has deep experience in corporate governance and board matters, and worked extensively with the board of directors’ Audit, Compensation, and Nomination and Governance committees at American Express.
During much of her time at American Express, Louise worked to remove anticompetitive barriers in the global credit card industry in Europe, Latin America and the U.S., involving a DOJ investigation and a court decision upheld on appeal, which struck down Visa and MasterCard’s anti-competitive rules and allowed American Express to compete more effectively in the payment card network business.
Louise began her career in 1975 at the law firm of Donovan Leisure Newton & Irvine in New York, joined American Express in 1977 and joined Cleary Gottlieb as Of Counsel in 2014.
- Director, Fidelity National Information Services Inc.
- Member, Supervisory Board of Deutsche Bank AG
- Director, Zoetis Inc.
- Director, the Calvary Fund of Calvary Hospital in New York
- Advisory Board, Studio in a School
- Former Trustee, Vice Chair of the Board and Chair of the Presidential Search Committee, Smith College
- Former Board Member, YWCA of New York, A Better Chance, and the Cooke Center for Learning and Development
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Member, Economic Club of New York
July 13, 2017
March 13, 2017
April 09, 2015
November 18, 2014
June 24, 2014