Marina A. Akchurina’s practice focuses on litigation and arbitration, with an emphasis on international disputes, including those involving states and state-owned entities.
She has taken part in a number of complex commercial and investment disputes before a variety of judicial and arbitral bodies, including international arbitrations before tribunals formed under the ICC, LCIA, SCC and UNCITRAL rules, and litigation matters before Russian state courts.
Marina joined the firm as an associate in 2009 after working in the firm as a paralegal and a stagiaire in 2007-2008.
Republic of Tatarstan and Ministry of Land and Property Relations of the Republic of Tatarstan v. Ukraine in a UNCITRAL arbitration against Ukraine seeking compensation of at least $300 million for Ukraine’s violations of the Russia-Ukraine bilateral investment treaty.
Tatneft in an enforcement of an award of damages of $112 million plus interest against Ukraine before the Russian state courts.
A company based in the Netherlands in a commercial action brought by a Russian company before the Russian courts seeking recovery of advance payments for which a Dutch company allegedly did not perform any work, in circumvention of the arbitration clause contained in the agreement with the Russian company.
A leading Kazakh businessman in coordinating the defense on multiple substantial fraud claims brought before the English High Court.
Russian Federation in obtaining an order from The Hague District Court that set aside the $50 billion award obtained by Yukos’s former majority shareholders. The decision annulled what has been widely reported to be the largest-ever investment treaty arbitration award.
Tatneft in an UNCITRAL arbitration against Ukraine under the Russia-Ukraine bilateral investment treaty, resulting in a nine-figure award in favor of Tatneft.
A major state-controlled public company in an LCIA arbitration.
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- RAA40 Co-Chair
- ICC YAF Regional Representative for Russia for 2019-2021
- Courts and Arbitration in Russia, Russian Arbitration Association September 2018 newsletter
- Scientific and Practical Article-by-Article Commentary to the Legislation on Arbitration (co-author of commentaries to selected articles), Capital Press, 2017
- Азиатские арбитражные центры: вызов традиционным арбитражным институтам?, Зaкон, 2015 (со-автор: M.Molfa)/Asian Arbitration Centers: Challenge to the Traditional Arbitration Institutions?, Law, October 2015 (co-author: M. Molfa)
March 21, 2019
March 04, 2019
March 06, 2018
June 29, 2017
December 07, 2016