Global Compensation and Benefits Watch: Resetting Executive Compensation in a New Era of Regulation and Economic Uncertainty
What to expect in the 2024 proxy season on executive compensation
November 21, 2023
Event Overview Tab
Cleary Gottlieb partner Julia Petty participated in the Global Compensation and Benefits Watch: Resetting Executive Compensation in a New Era of Regulation and Economic Uncertainty: What to expect in the 2024 proxy season on executive compensation.
There are plenty of reasons to take a fresh look at executive compensation:
- We are looking at a U.S. economy with low-growth, sustained inflation, and relatively high interest rates in 2024.
- The threats of economic disruptions from geopolitical tensions are rising.
- Companies are facing tremendous opportunities—and investment needs—relating to the digital and sustainability transformations of their industries.
- And, of course, companies are setting compensation against the backdrop of the SEC’s pay-for-performance and, critically, the clawback rule.
- How companies can set executive compensation that is realistic in face of economic conditions, resilient in face of risks, and effective in focusing on growth opportunities.
- Whether and how to redesign executive compensation in light of the clawback rules.
- What changes in disclosure companies are considering in light of their experience with the pay-for-performance rule.
- What to ask investors during off-season engagement.
- What to expect in the 2024 proxy season on executive compensation.
- Wayne Carnall, Former Partner (Ret.), PwC, and Former Chief Accountant, Division of Corporation Finance, SEC
- Blair Jones, Managing Director, Semler Brossy
- Julia Petty, Partner, Cleary Gottlieb
- Paul Washington, Executive Director, ESG Center, The Conference Board (Moderator)
This Global Compensation and Benefits Watch program is hosted by Cleary and The Conference Board Human Capital and ESG Centers.
Click here to learn more.
To receive invitations for future events, subscribe to our Corporate Governance mailing list by clicking here and selecting “Corporate Governance.”