Paris Arbitration Week 2019 Highlights
April 10, 2019
With the end of Paris Arbitration Week (“PAW”), we wanted to share with you a few highlights from our point of view as an official sponsor. PAW was a tremendous success, with over 60 official events and over 1,000 participants coming from around the world.
Paris, the historic home of international arbitration, continues to be among the preferred seats for such disputes and served as the perfect venue to exchange views on recent trends and developments in the field. In Paris and in our 15 other offices, Cleary Gottlieb’s arbitration practice continues to provide clients the highest quality of advocacy, attracting praise from the industry by ranking in Global Arbitration Review’s GAR 30, being recognized as Practice Group of the Year by Law360, and earning Tier 1 rankings in both The Legal 500 (France) and Benchmark Litigation Europe.
Monday, April 1st
- 3rd ICC European Conference on International Arbitration: Richard Kreindler spoke at a round table discussion on “Intra-European vs. Extra-European Means for the Settlement of Investor-State Disputes.”
- Joint Meeting of the U.S. and Canada ICC National Arbitration Committees: The Cleary Paris office hosted the Joint Meeting of the U.S. and Canada ICC National Arbitration Committees. In his capacity as Co-Chair for the Expatriate Subcommittee of the U.S. National Committee of the ICC, Aren Goldsmith opened the meeting and moderated a panel discussion on Third Party Funding. Chris Moore and Ariella Rosenberg attended, and Paul Kleist served as rapporteur.
Wednesday, April 3rd
- Arbitration and Competition Law: Follow-On Damages and State Aid Actions: Cleary Gottlieb had a large turnout for its breakfast panel on arbitration and competition law, covering issues such as follow-on damages and State aid. The speakers included the following Cleary attorneys: Jean-Yves Garaud, Séverine Schrameck, Delphine Michot, Aren Goldsmith, Laurie Achtouk-Spivak, François-Charles Laprévote, and Claudia Annacker. A description of our practice in this respect and key Paris contacts can be found here.
- Club des Juristes Debate: Online Arbitration: Jean-Yves Garaud participated in a debate regarding the Club des Juristes report on “online arbitration” (“l’arbitrage en ligne”).
Thursday, April 4th
- Revue de Droit des Affaires Internationales / Queen Mary University – Provisional Measures in International Arbitration: Aren Goldsmith co-organized and moderated a panel on provisional measures in international arbitration, Laurie Achtouk-Spivak spoke on security for costs, and Ariella Rosenberg acted as the event rapporteur.
- Council Meeting of the ICC Institute: In his capacity as a Council member, Richard Kreindler attended the Council Meeting of the ICC Institute and participated in the ICC Institute Colloquium.
- 9th Annual GAR Awards Ceremony: Claudia Annacker, Jean-Yves Garaud, Laurie Achtouk-Spivak, Aren Goldsmith, Enikő Horvath, and Ariella Rosenberg attended the 9th Annual GAR Awards Ceremony, where it was announced that Cleary placed in the GAR top 30.