Cleary Gottlieb a Leading Firm in Chambers USA 2023 Rankings
June 1, 2023
Cleary Gottlieb continues to earn recognition as a leading law firm in the latest edition of Chambers USA.
Cleary received 90 lawyer rankings, 16 of which were top-tier or better, and 40 practice rankings, 12 of which were top-tier, in the 2023 guide.
Chambers USA, which covers the top lawyers in the United States in nationwide and regional rankings, including California, New York, and Washington, D.C., cited a wide range of client and competitor commentary about Cleary’s experience across practices, industries, and regions.
Feedback from clients and peers included:
- Antitrust, District of Columbia and Nationwide: “The team provide top-notch advice that is always thoughtful, strategic, and practical”; “The firm [has] a very strong understanding of clients’ businesses, which creates significant value in M&A and counseling matters”; “The firm’s international presence and depth is very valuable and their ability to facilitate a global approach while advising on local nuances is top-tier.”
- Banking & Finance, New York and Nationwide: “The Cleary team is extremely knowledgeable and offers exceptional advice and insight”; “Cleary provides sound legal advice on complex matters, while also taking into account the business considerations that impact the overall situation and strategy.”
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring: The Elite, New York and Nationwide: “They deftly negotiate highly complex cases with multiple constituents, resulting in excellent client outcomes”; “They offer really thoughtful advice based on significant experience and expertise”; “The partners are responsive and able to give deep insights.”
- Capital Markets: Debt & Equity, Nationwide: “The partners and associates are unfailingly responsible and available. The firm demonstrates deep bench strength to address even the most esoteric issues”; “I have an incredible amount of trust in the firm to handle our most complex matters”; “Cleary’s team has very strong depth and they are available at all times.”
- Capital Markets: Securitization, Nationwide: “Cleary has a team of very strong lawyers that excel at handling complex matters”; “The attorneys at Cleary have substantive legal expertise and understand the market very well”; “It’s a great firm and the team is very thoughtful.”
- Capital Markets: Structured Products, Nationwide: “Cleary’s team stands out for its ability to work through challenging situations and its thoughtfulness when it comes to solving problems.”
- Corporate Crime & Investigations: The Elite, Nationwide: “Cleary is an excellent firm with a really strong bench of lawyers”; “They have a team of excellent attorneys that always produce a fantastic work product.”
- Corporate/M&A: The Elite, New York and Nationwide: “The team is very sharp, pragmatic, and business-oriented. They understand our goals and align their approach accordingly”; “Cleary’s attorneys do a good job of issue-spotting and are excellent in negotiation. It is a one-stop shop for us”; “Cleary is very practical and detail-oriented. The team balances legal risk against commercial objectives”; “Cleary has a seamless way of operating and involving specialists across the team.”
- Derivatives, Nationwide: “The Cleary team is extremely knowledgeable on their subject and always available to provide clear, concise advice on complex subject matters”; “Cleary excels in its market coverage and in its ability to provide thoughtful advice on very nuanced and complex financial products and financial regulations”; “The advice and work product from Cleary is always top notch.”
- Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation, New York and Nationwide: “Cleary is incredibly responsive and provides an exceptional professional service”; “The Cleary team is well versed technically and is able to relate complex matters to the layperson. They are trusted partners in collaborating and finding solution”; “They are experts in their fields and stand out from other law firms in their expertise and responsiveness”; “The firm does excellent work coordinating lawyers and accountants in several jurisdictions and providing solutions.”
- Financial Services Regulation, Nationwide: “The Cleary team is very strong from top to bottom. When necessary, they are always able to bring in other lawyers who can effectively handle issues that require different or unique expertise”; “The firm is thoughtful and always comes up with innovative solutions”; “The team is very responsive and replies to inquiries on the same day as they’re received. The team is available to discuss matters to achieve successful conclusions.”
- International Arbitration: The Elite, Nationwide: “What I think is part of their success, beyond the pure technical legal skills, is their personal involvement and commitment”; “It’s a strong, multicultural team who are very responsive and apt to understand the client’s needs”; “They really know how to deal with Latin American matters. They have the ability to work according to local characteristics and practices”; “They proved to have deep knowledge of the matter and a dedicated and comprehensive and interdisciplinary team.”
- International Trade, Nationwide: “The firm’s lawyers are very knowledgeable and skillful in the advice they provide”; “The firm offers an excellent service level and responsiveness and is available for quick questions and urgent issues”; “They are conscious of trends in the market and landscape of market practices.”
- Mining and Metals, Nationwide: “The team [is] creative and rigorous, with high attention to detail”; “Cleary works efficiently, with deep subject matter expertise”; “The team has many abilities and global experience.”
- Private Equity: Buyouts: High-end Capability, New York and Nationwide: “I’ve been impressed with their skill set, speed, and accuracy. They always take into consideration the commercial needs of the business. They are just phenomenal.”
- Private Equity: Fund Formation, Nationwide: “Cleary’s group are thoughtful, commercial, and always closely attuned to client needs. They assemble a well-balanced team with great in-depth experience.”
- Litigation: General Commercial: The Elite and Securities, New York: “Cleary has a very knowledgeable and capable team that provides excellent client service. Their younger associates are also very talented”; “They are very strong in analyzing and advising on complex and demanding matters, and we are always advised very quickly.”
- Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations: The Elite, New York: “They find ways to zealously advocacy for their clients, and they are team oriented and thoughtful”; “The firm is clearly entrenched in the white-collar space”; “In addition to their excellent partners leading investigations, Cleary’s team of associates are very impressive.”
- Real Estate, New York and Nationwide: “Cleary is unquestionably among the best in the business for commercial real estate finance”; “The team is able to handle extremely complex and sophisticated matters in a straightforward and business-friendly way”; “I really enjoy being opposite them, they’re very commercial and always working to get the deal done”; “We purposely go to Cleary on our more complicated transactions as it is one of the best firms in our roster of law firms”; “Even the senior-most partners are easily accessible to me and my team. We are consistently made to feel as if nothing is more pressing or important than the matter at hand.”
- Securities: Regulation, Nationwide: “The firm is collaborative and helpful. They are able to take the lead on issues with really difficult legal aspects”; “Cleary’s client service is exceptional, and they have a fantastic team”; “The team has outstanding market insights and viewpoints”; “The team provides timely and actionable advice. It has a strong and deep bench of talented regulatory lawyers.”
- Tax, New York and Nationwide: “They are knowledgeable, thorough, and creative. The advice is very clear, and the team has very strong analytical skills”; “The Cleary tax group is great. They’re top-notch leaders in the field”; “They provide strong technical tax advice with support for the considerations of critical commercial matters.”
To view the firm’s full rankings, click here.