Cleary Gottlieb Earns Outstanding Chambers Global 2019 Rankings
February 14, 2019
Cleary Gottlieb continues to receive high rankings as a premier international law firm in the latest edition of Chambers Global.
Cleary earned 288 practice and lawyer rankings in the 2019 guide, 56 of which were top-tier.
Commendations for our firm and lawyers included:
- Arbitration (International): “The firm provides outstanding legal advice, with very hands-on partners and with extremely clear thinking… its extensive experience in investment arbitration gives the team a cutting-edge knowledge of trends… something that adds enormous value to clients.”
- Banking & Finance: “Cleary is particularly good because from one side they’re extremely intelligent and creative, and from the other side I think they are conservative in a good way—they are quite flexible when advising on new things and they have an ability to think laterally.”
- Capital Markets: “Cleary is a ‘go-to’ firm for U.S. law-driven capital markets transactions, and ‘unparalleled for their U.S. advice in the London market…. [They] are a firm with offices in key money centers and they also have local law experts to add who can advise on the specifics of deals.’”
- Competition/Antitrust: “The team is a ‘one-stop shop across Europe, the U.S., and Asia-Pacific, [and] has a joined-up approach on global investigations…. internationally, Cleary remains in my mind the number one firm in this practice area.’”
- Corporate/M&A: “They are an exceptionally good law firm. They provide very good service and handle complicated technical matters, which require very good management skills. They are very good at cross-border work.”
- Dispute Resolution: “They have a global reach, not only geographically but also legally and politically. They’re absolutely first-rate, I think their strength in depth across jurisdictions is very high.”
- Employee Benefits: “Market commentators highlight the firm’s ‘significant corporate capability’ and the strength that this gives to its employee benefits work.”
- Investment Funds: “They are a very established presence in the funds market. They have very in-depth expertise and good technical skills to handle this sort of complex work. They have huge fund clients and have a notable reputation in the market.”
- Private Equity: “Historically, they are a true international player. They have had long and deep relationships with major funds and various sovereign wealth funds, especially in the Middle East. They have lots of experience in the private equity space and sufficient depth to handle complex deals in various industry sectors.”
- Projects: “‘[I]n the sovereign advisory space, CGSH is one of the best firms…’ its key strengths are ‘impressive individuals, strong expertise in financing, and access to multiple precedents.’”
- Public International Law: “The lawyers garner strong praise from sources, who are ‘impressed by the quality of their analysis’ and highlight their excellent performance at all levels of seniority.”
- Restructuring: “They have broad international experience needed for cross-border work and expertise in representing a lot of foreign nationals.”
- Tax: “They work very closely as a team and the technical quality is very good.”
Chambers Global, which covers over 190 countries and includes regional and global sections, overall cited a wide range of client and competitor feedback about the strength of Cleary’s capabilities across practices, industries, and regions.
To view the firm’s complete Chambers Global 2019 rankings, click here.