Cleary Gottlieb Lawyers and Practices Recognized in Chambers UK 2020
October 10, 2019
Cleary Gottlieb lawyers and practices have been highlighted in the 2020 edition of Chambers UK.
The firm earned nine practice rankings, and 12 Cleary lawyers were recognized as leading lawyers in their respective practice areas: partners Pierre-Marie Boury, Maurits Dolmans, Sunil Gadhia, David Gottlieb, Jonathan Kelly, Nicholas Levy, Raj Panasar, Tihir Sarkar, Sebastian Sperber, and Richard Sultman; senior counsel Simon Jay; and counsel Paul Gilbert.
Commendations from clients and peers include:
- Banking & Finance: “They combine innovation in structuring with responsiveness and 100% attention to detail. They’re the firm you can trust with your difficult issues.”; “They are the top law firm for sovereign debt in the market and are also very strong in the emerging markets. They have in-depth experience in both acting for sovereigns and creditors and as a result, they understand the challenges and opportunities faced.”; “They provide very thorough and helpful services to their clients. They understand our requirements and risk tolerance.”
- Banking Litigation: “I have a very high opinion of the firm… The partners we work with do excellent work and the service is really good – they are very responsive and very quick to pick up on any feedback we give them.”; “The quality is very good and they keep us informed at all stages of their approach and the tactics they are adopting.”; “[They are] smart, very well plugged-in and tactically astute.”
- Capital Markets: Debt & Equity: “They are extremely good to work with and they are really intelligent… If you have an obscure question they are excellent at providing an answer.”; “[T]hey have been in this business for a long time and they know the market very well. They have very strong experienced partners and counsel.”; “They are incredibly good at dissecting any technical issues.”
- Competition Law: “Even at associate level the quality of the lawyers’ work is extremely high… Cleary is my go-to firm because I know that the quality of the lawyers’ writing is going to be good and their client care is going to be excellent.”; “If our question deals with any country in the world the firm immediately has a way to handle the topic either through its own offices or through a third party.”
- Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability: “It’s an excellent, high-quality team… We appreciate their solutions-oriented approach to helping us get a transaction completed.”; “They’re responsive, creative and very thoughtful. They give good legal advice in the context of what we’re trying to do as a company.”; “[They’re] proactive, resourceful and incredibly supportive. They have exceptional client-handling skills.”
- Litigation: “They kept us up to date at all stages with their approach and the tactics they were using. They adapted well and were able to anticipate what would happen next.”
- Private Equity: Buyouts: High-end Capability: “[They have] high-calibre and very professional lawyers… The firm has a large geographical reach and covers all legal domains we could require.”; “They’re very knowledgeable, well connected with local counsel, and helpful in navigating complicated deals.”
View Cleary’s complete results on the Chambers website.