Paul Gilbert’s practice focuses on EU and UK competition law, including merger control, anticompetitive agreements, abuse of dominance and sectoral regulation.
He has represented clients before the European Commission, the UK Competition and Markets Authority (and its predecessors, the Office of Fair Trading and Competition Commission), as well as in litigation before the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal.
Paul joined the firm in January 2011 and became counsel in January 2015. Before joining the firm he was Deputy Director of Competition Policy at the UK Office of Fair Trading.
Actavis on its $66 billion acquisition of Allergan.
Bank of America on the sale of its wealth management business to Julius Baer.
Google before the OFT in its acquisitions of BeatThatQuote and Waze, and in the EC's investigation into online search.
HarperCollins in the OFT and European Commission e-book investigations.
HCA in its appeal of the CMA’s Private Healthcare Market Investigation.
HP on an OFT Market Study into Government procurement of ICT.
IMS Health on its merger with Quintiles.
Lafarge in connection with the Competition Commission’s Market Investigation into aggregates, cement and ready-mix concrete, as well as on its UK building materials joint venture with Anglo American's Tarmac business.
Metlac in resisting an attempted acquisition by AkzoNobel, and in successfully resisting a challenge brought before the Competition Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal against the Competition Commission’s prohibition decision.
OpenText before the OFT on its acquisition of GXS.
Ryanair on the competition aspects of its bid to acquire Aer Lingus and related minority share acquisition, including litigation before the Competition Appeal Tribunal and Court of Appeal.
Sony Corporation of America on the EU antitrust aspects of the $2.2 billion acquisition of EMI Music Publishing.
Member, British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
“United Kingdom,” The Dominance and Monopolies Review – Edition 7, 2019.
“United Kingdom,” Getting the Deal Through’s 2019 Competition Compliance Guide, June 2019
“FCA Issues First Penalties for Competition Infringements,” by Jonathan Kelly, Sunil Gadhia, Nicholas Levy, James Brady, Paul Gilbert, David R. Little, and Vassilena Karadakova, Cleary Gottlieb Alert Memo, February 26, 2019
“Where Angels Fear to Trade: Algorithms and Antitrust,” by Paul Gilbert and Alexander Waksman, Financier Worldwide, February 19, 2019
“UK Government Proposes National Security and Investment Regime,” by Nicholas Levy, Maurits Dolmans, Simon Jay, Paul Gilbert, David R. Little, Matthew Hamilton-Foyn, John Messent, and Edward Crane, Cleary Gottlieb Alert Memorandum, August 9, 2018
“United Kingdom,” The Dominance and Monopolies Review – Edition 6, 2018.
“The EU Court of Justice Clarifies the Scope of the Regulatory Framework for Three-Party Schemes but Individual Assessment Is Needed to Determine Whether Fee Caps Apply,” Concurrences, February 7, 2018.
"United Kingdom," by Paul Gilbert, The Dominance and Monopolies Review, Law Business Research, August 2017.
"Impact of Brexit on UK Competition Litigation and Arbitration," Kluwer Journal of International Arbitration, September 2016.
"United Kingdom," by Paul Gilbert, The Dominance and Monopolies Review, Law Business Research, June 2016.
"'A Watershed Moment for Enforcement'—Sizing up Class Action Competition Reforms," by Paul Gilbert and Sunil Gadhia, Legal Business, November 4, 2015.
"New Rules May Mean More Private Actions in Antitrust Cases," by Sunil Gadhia, Paul Gilbert and Paul Stuart, The Lawyer, October 2015.
"United Kingdom," by Paul Gilbert, The Dominance and Monopolies Review, Law Business Research, June 2015, p. 403-420 (Chapter 26).
"Privacy Considerations in European Merger Control: A Square Peg for a Round Hole," by Paul Gilbert and Richard Pepper, Competition Policy International, June 1, 2015.
"Changes to the UK Cartel Offence—Be Careful What You Wish For," by Paul Gilbert, Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, Oxford University Press, December 4, 2014.
"United Kingdom," by Paul Gilbert, The Dominance and Monopolies Review, Law Business Research, June 2014, p.319-332 and p. 345-362 (Chapter 23).
- Speaker at IBC Legal’s UK Competition Law 2017 event, February 28, 2017
- Panel chair, "Process, Privilege and Procedure in EC Cases," at Global Competition Review 2016 Annual Conference, July 2016
- Speaker at Kluwer BREXIT conference, September 2016
- Chaired IBC Conference on Big Data and Competition Law, October 2016
- Speaker at Bruegel event on "Antitrust Concerns in Zero Price Markets," November 2016
- Participant at CMA roundtable on use of confidentiality rings and disclosure rooms in competition cases, November 2016
- Presented on "Agency Agreements in Digital Distribution" at Monckton Chambers conference (organized by Sweet & Maxwell), September 2015.
- Panel chair (Competition Law in Digital Markets) at IBC UK Competition Law Conference, February 2016.
- Participant at BIICL roundtable on Competition in Pharmaceuticals, March 2016.
- Participant at CMA roundtable on Commitments in Competition Enforcement, September 2015.
- Participant at CMA roundtable on Vertical Agreements, January 2015.
- Participant at CLF roundtable on Competition in Payment Systems, November 2015.