Dave Gelfand is one of the country’s leading antitrust lawyers; his practice spans merger review, civil litigation, and criminal investigations.
Dave started his career in 1987 at one of Washington, D.C.’s premier litigation boutique firms. He joined Cleary in 1991 and has concentrated on antitrust work for the past 25 years. He became a partner of the firm in 1997 and was resident in our Brussels office from 2001 to 2004.
From 2013 to 2016, Dave was the Deputy Assistant Attorney General for Litigation in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. In that role, he oversaw antitrust litigation at the Justice Department and was involved in several major matters including the investigation and challenges to the USAir/AA, Comcast/TWC, Halliburton/Baker Hughes, and General Electric/Electrolux mergers.
Dave has handled matters across a wide range of industries including oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, steel, aluminum, retailing, consumer products, software, internet services, transportation, electronic exchanges, and media. His clients value his breadth of knowledge and experience, his focus on getting results that align with business objectives, and his practical advice on difficult issues and situations.
Litigation and Investigations
Deutsche Telekom and T-Mobile US in a successful federal court trial in the SDNY defeating the efforts of multiple State Attorneys General to block a merger with Sprint.
EquiLend in the defense of an antitrust class action brought by three U.S. pension funds alleging a conspiracy among EquiLend (a securities lending platform) and six major investment banks in the stock lending market.
Molson Coors in the defense of a claim by a U.S. brewer alleging that an antitrust violation affected exports to Canada.
Sanofi US in defending against a multibillion-dollar monopolization lawsuit brought by a competitor challenging Sanofi’s loyalty discounts for its anticoagulant drug Lovenox.
Sybase, an SAP company, in defense of class action litigation alleging violations in standards established for SMS messages.
Whirlpool and Brazilian subsidiary Embraco in cartel investigations in the refrigeration compressor industry (including in Embraco’s DOJ plea agreement), and in related U.S. class action litigation.
ArcelorMittal in federal antitrust class action alleging an industry-wide agreement among steel producers to reduce output.
T-Mobile US and Deutsche Telekom in T-Mobile US’s $146 billion merger with Sprint Corporation.
Essilor in its $49 billion acquisition of Luxottica, owner of Ray-Ban and Oakley.
KLA-Tencor in its $3.4 billion acquisition of Orbotech.
Couche-Tard, the parent of Circle K, in several recent transactions including its $4.4 billion acquisition of the 1,800 convenience store chain, CST.
Commercial Metals Company on the antitrust aspects of its acquisition of certain U.S. rebar steel mill and fabrication assets from Gerdau S.A.
Google in its acquisitions of Motorola Mobility, AdMob, and DoubleClick, among other matters.
Dollar Thrifty in its acquisition by Hertz (a merger involving multiple competing bids over 30 months).
GlaxoSmithKline in numerous transactions including its acquisition of Stiefel Laboratories.
Molson Coors in its joint venture with SABMiller, which combined their U.S. operations.
IMS Health in its acquisition of SDI Health.
Royal DSM in numerous transactions, including its acquisitions of Ocean Nutrition Canada, Kensey Nash, and Martek.
“Target’s Termination of Merger Agreement Approved Based on Plain Contract Language,” March 2019, republished by the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation.
“A Promise Kept,” May 2017
“A Primer on Litigating the Fix,” November 2016
Remarks at the Bates White Antitrust Conference, Washington, D.C., June 7, 2016
“Preserving Competition: The Only Solution, Evolve,” April 24, 2015
“Reflections On The Past Year At The Antitrust Division,” September 16, 2014
- ABA Antitrust Law Virtual Spring Meeting 2020, April 2020
- ABA Antitrust Law 2019 Spring Meeting, March 2019
- FTC Hearings on Competition and Consumer Protection in the 21st Century, October 2018
- ABA’s 2017 Antitrust Fall Forum, 2017
- Fordham Competition Law Institute’s 44th Annual International Antitrust Law and Policy Conference, 2017
- ABA’s Litigating the Fix Post-Aetna, 2017
- ABA Antitrust Law 2017 Spring Meeting
- PLI: Broadband and Cable Industry Law 2017 Conference
- GCR Live 4th Annual New York, 2016
- 26th Annual Golden State Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Institute, 2016
- “120 Merger Regimes: Multinational Deals in a World of Non-Convergence,” 2016
- ABA - “Government and Private Sector Antitrust and Enforcement Practices: How Do They Differ?” 2016
- GCR Live Fifth Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum; plenary session, “Five years with the U.S. Merger Guidelines,” and panel entitled “Mergers: Who, What, Where, When, Why and How: A Practical View on Guiding a Transaction Through the Remedy Process,” 2016
- Ninth Annual Georgetown Global Antitrust Enforcement Symposium; panel entitled “Merger Enforcement and Policy,” 2015
- 15th Annual Loyola Antitrust Colloquium; keynote address, 2015
- 63rd ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting; discussed the latest in civil enforcement, cartel cases and policy/initiatives, 2015
- 19th Annual Corporate Counsel Institute; panel entitled “Federal Track: Antitrust Law,” 2015
- ABA Antitrust Fall Forum; panel entitled “Agency Litigation Lessons and Trends,” 2014
- Practising Law Institute's 2014 Antitrust Institute on Developments and Hot Topics; panel entitled “Dealing with Enforcement Issues and Opportunities,” 2014
- 62nd ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting; panel entitled “Agency Update with the Deputy Assistant Attorneys General,” 2014
- 2nd Annual Global Competition Review Live Conference; keynote address, 2014
- 8th Annual Georgetown Global Antitrust Enforcement Symposium; panel entitled “Merger Enforcement and Policy,” 2014
- New York State Bar Association Antitrust Law Section Annual Meeting; panel entitled “Navigating State and Federal Regulators During Your Merger,” 2014