Africa Outlook: Arbitration Trends
September 21, 2021
As part of Paris Arbitration Week, Cleary Gottlieb is presenting a webinar, Africa Outlook: Arbitration Trends.
The event will discuss recent developments relating to arbitration in Africa and the challenges faced by arbitral institutions on the continent, and include a debate on how to foster diversity in arbitration. Panelists will include arbitration practitioners from different African jurisdictions, client representatives and leading members of arbitral institutions in Africa.
The schedule for the webinar includes:
Introduction: Jean-Yves Garaud, partner, Cleary Gottlieb
Panel 1: “West Africa: Recent Arbitration Trends by Jurisdiction”
Moderator: Christopher Moore, partner, Cleary Gottlieb
- Aurélia Mafongo Kamga, associate, Chazai & Partners, Cameroon
- Kizito Beyuo, partner, Beyuo & Co, Ghana
- Folashade Alli, partner, Folashade Alli & Associates, Nigeria
- Olivier Amalaman, partner, KSK Avocats, Côte d’Ivoire
- Thierno Olory-Togbe, Principal Legal Counsel, African Legal Support Facility, Côte d’Ivoire
Panel 2: “Arbitral Institutions in Africa: How to Reconcile Client Service and Adjudication Functions?”
Moderator: Laurie Achtouk-Spivak, counsel, Cleary Gottlieb
- Diamana Diawara, Regional Director for Africa, ICC International Court of Arbitration
- Dr. Ismail Selim, director, The Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
- Godwin Omoaka, SAN, partner, Templars; and board member, Lagos Court of Arbitration
- Fabio Londero, Group General Counsel, Danieli
Panel 3: “Debate: To Foster Diversity, Should We Do Away With Party Appointments for Arbitrators?”
Moderator: Naomi Tarawali, associate, Cleary Gottlieb
- Diane Okoko, partner, Marcus-Okoko & Co, Nigeria
- Paulman Chungu, partner, Ranchhod, Chungu Advocates, Zambia
- Madeline Kimei, Principal Director, iResolve, Tanzania
- Dr. Rukia Baruti, Secretary General, African Arbitration Association, Rwanda
Learn more about the webinar and register here.
Cleary is also presenting another webinar during Paris Arbitration Week: Investment Arbitration and the Green Transition.