Cleary Gottlieb Leads Mexican IPOs for Ten Years
November 13, 2013
Cleary Gottlieb is the leading firm worldwide involved in offerings by Mexican issuers, having advised on a greater number of transactions than any other firm over the last 10 years. Further, Cleary Gottlieb ranks #1 for both Issuer’s and Manager’s Counsel for Mexican IPOs over this same period, according to Thomson Reuters data.
The firm has advised on eight Mexican IPOs since 2012 valued at over $5.7 billion, including:
- Counsel in the $1.2 billion Reg S/Rule 144A IPO by Macquarie Mexican REIT, a newly formed Mexican FIBRA trust (fideicomiso de inversion en bienes raíces) that focuses on the acquisition, ownership, leasing and management of industrial, office and retail real estate in Mexico. The transaction is the second-largest Mexican IPO and one of the largest Latin American real estate transactions ever.
- Counsel in the $1.1 billion Reg S/Rule 144A IPO of Grupo Lala, a leading dairy company in Mexico and one of the world’s largest dairy companies by sales.
- Counsel in the Ps. 10.4 billion Reg S/Rule 144A IPO of Alpek, the largest petrochemical group in Mexico and one of the largest in Latin America. Alpek’s 2012 IPO was the first in Mexico since July 2011.
- Counsel to Grupo Sanborns in its $950 million Reg S/Rule 144A IPO and global equity offering. Grupo Sanborns is a portfolio company of Mexico billionaire Carlos Slim that operates retail and restaurant chains throughout Mexico, including Sears Mexico and Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Counsel in the $600 million Reg S/Rule 144A IPO of Infraestructura Energética Nova, the Mexican unit of U.S. energy company Sempra Energy. IEnova is the first energy IPO in Mexican history.
- Counsel to Terrafina, a real estate investment trust (FIBRA), in its $665 million Rule 144A IPO. Terrafina’s IPO is the first public listing in Mexico of a FIBRA exclusively targeting industrial real estate.
- Counsel to Hoteles City Express in its $197 million Reg S/Rule 144A IPO. With more than 70 hotels and an ample presence in Mexico, Hoteles City is the fastest growing hotel chain in Mexico.
- Counsel in the $200 million Reg S/Rule 144A IPO by Crédito Real, a leading supplier of consumer loans in Mexico.
Actively engaged in Latin America work for more than 50 years, Cleary Gottlieb’s commitment to and knowledge of the region is unparalleled. With more than 30 partners or counsel and approximately 70 associates engaged in the practice, Cleary Gottlieb has a broader and deeper talent base in this area than any other international law firm.
The firm’s Latin America practice has been lauded for years as being the most accomplished among international firms. We have continued to receive accolades, including “Latin American Law Firm of the Year” from Chambers Global and “Best Law Firm in Latin America” from LatinFinance, as well as recognition from Latin Lawyer 250, Chambers Latin America, Legal 500 Latin America, and the Latin American Corporate Counsel Association.