Jonathan I. Blackman’s practice focuses on litigation, including international litigation and arbitration, securities law, banking and insurance law.
He has participated in numerous international arbitrations involving both public international law and complex commercial disputes, litigation involving the immunity of foreign states and their agencies under the U.S. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, and securities and commercial litigation in a variety of U.S. federal and state courts. Jonathan is heavily involved in representing a number of sovereigns in litigation in the United States and elsewhere, as well as representing corporate and other clients in actions in U.S. courts.Jonathan joined the firm in 1977 and became a partner in 1985. From 1977 to 2009, he was resident in the New York office. Since then he has been resident in New York and London.
International Arbitration (Treaty and Commercial)
Telecom Italia in entirely defeating a $15 billion claim, one of the largest reported commercial arbitration cases, in an ICC arbitration arising from the settlement of disputes over the control of Brasil Telecom.
Tatneft in an UNCITRAL arbitration against Ukraine under the Russia-Ukraine bilateral investment treaty, resulting in a nine-figure award in favor of Tatneft.
The Russian Federation in an UNCITRAL arbitration under the Italy-Russia bilateral investment treaty, the first-ever case under that treaty, resulting in the dismissal of all claims against it.
Vale S.A. in LCIA arbitration seated in London in a dispute arising out of a joint venture agreement related to a West African project governed by English law.
The Ministry of Electricity of the Republic of Iraq in obtaining an award in its favor dismissing all claims in a construction dispute in an AAA arbitration and several ICC arbitrations.
Valeo in obtaining a $67 million award in its favor in a purchase price adjustment accounting arbitration.
OOO Vklad and other Russian investors in obtaining full recovery of their claims in an ICC arbitration.
Kookmin Bank in obtaining an award in its favor on all claims in an ICC proceeding.
Goodyear Tire & Rubber in an ICC arbitration, resulting in the dismissal of substantially all claims against it and a substantial award of costs in its favor.
The Bank for International Settlements in arbitrations administered by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in the Hague regarding the mandatory redemption of its privately held shares.
International and Other Litigation
Republic of Argentina v. NML Capital, 134 S. Ct. 2250 (2014) (U.S. Supreme Court case on scope of discovery under Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act).
BG plc v. Republic of Argentina, 134 S. Ct. 1198 (2014) (U.S. Supreme Court case on scope of review of arbitral award under bilateral investment treaty).
Al-Tamimi v. Adelson, 2017 WL 3738415 (D.D.C. 2017) (dismissal of Alien Tort Statute claims for lack of justiciability under political question doctrine.
Rio Tinto PLC v. Vale S.A., 2015 WL 7769534 (S.D.N.Y. 2015) (dismissal of civil RICO claim under statute of limitations and failure to plead RICO “pattern”).
Hoffman v. L&M Arts, 2014 WL 4375667 (N.D. Tex. 2014) (grant of judgment as a matter of law in case involving alleged breach of confidentiality agreement involving sale of a valuable painting).
Bulgartabac Holding AD v. The Republic of Iraq, 451 Fed. Appx. 9 (2d Cir. 2011) (affirming statute of limitations dismissal of claims against Iraq).
NML Ltd v. Banco Central de la Republica Argentina, 652 F. 3d 172 (2d Cir. 2011) (reversal of attachment of central bank reserves).
Aurelius Capital Partners v. Republic of Argentina, 584 F.3d 120, (2d Cir. 2009) (reversal of attachment of Argentina pension fund assets).
Agrocomplect, AD v. Republic of Iraq, 524 F. Supp. 2d 16 (D.D.C. 2007) (dismissing claims against Republic of Iraq for lack of jurisdiction under FSIA), aff’d, 2008 304 Fed. App’x 872 (D.C. Cir. Nov. 14, 2008).
Rubin v. Pixelplus, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 17671 (E.D.N.Y. Mar. 13, 2007) (denying remand of “pure” Securities Act class action removed to federal court under SLUSA).
Banco Nacional de México, S.A. v. Société Générale, 820 N.Y.S.2d 588 (1st Dep’t 2006) (holding that Mexican injunction against payment on letter of credit should not be granted comity as a defense to confirming bank’s claim for reimbursement for payment on conforming demand).
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Chair, International Law Committee, 2001-2004)
- Executive Committee Member, International Law and Practice Section, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Law Institute
- “CFPB Issues Final Rule on Arbitration Agreements in Financial Products and Services Contracts,” The Banking Law Journal, October 2017
- “United States” chapter, The Banking Litigation Law Review, September 2017
- “Discovery in Aid of Arbitration under 28 USC 1782,” The Arbitration Review of the Americas 2018 (GAR, August 2017)
- “A Reassuring 2nd Circ. Approach To Annulled Awards,” Law360, July 28, 2017
- “Second Circuit Confirms That an Arbitral Award That Has Been Nullified at the Seat of the Arbitration Should Rarely Be Enforced,” July 27, 2017
- “Second Circuit Rules That FSIA Provides Sole Basis for Jurisdiction Over Foreign Sovereigns in Actions to Enforce ICSID Awards,” July 17, 2017
- “CFPB Issues Final Rule on Arbitration Agreements in Financial Products and Services Contracts,” July 13, 2017
- “U.S. Supreme Court Holds That State Courts Lack Specific Personal Jurisdiction to Entertain Non-Residents’ Claims for Injuries Not Connected to In-State Conduct,” June 20, 2017
- “U.S. Supreme Court Reaffirms That Corporate Defendants Are Subject to General Personal Jurisdiction Only Where They Are ‘At Home,’” May 30, 2017 (republished in the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation on June 14, 2017)
- “U.S. Supreme Court: Hague Service Convention Permits Service of Process by Mail,” May 23, 2017
- “Supreme Court Adopts Exacting Approach to Jurisdictional Inquiry Under FSIA’s Expropriation Exception,” May 2, 2017
- “Respecting Awards Annulled at the Seat of Arbitration: The Road from Chromalloy to TermoRio,” Handbook on International Arbitration and ADR, Third Edition (American Arbitration Association), 2017
- “Alien Tort Statute and Torture Victims Protection Act,” Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Fourth Edition (Thomson Reuters and the American Bar Association Section of Litigation), February 23, 2017
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre Launches Investment Arbitration Rules, January 30, 2017
- The Year in Review: An Annual Survey of International Legal Developments, Chapter on International Litigation, ABA/Section of International Law, Vol. 51, 2017
- “CFPB Issues Rulemaking on Arbitration Agreements in Financial Products and Services Contracts,” May 16, 2016
- March 3, 2014 : “U.S. Supreme Court Sharply Limits General Jurisdiction Over Corporate Defendants,” Corporation (Aspen)
- 2014: “Provisional Measures in Cross-Border Cases,” International Litigation Strategies and Practice, Second Edition
- August 19, 2013: “Class Action Arbitration Opinions Focus on Party Autonomy,” New York Law Journal
- June 11, 2012: “Tackling Class Action Waivers in Arbitration Clauses,” New York Law Journal
- 2011: “Evidence in International Arbitration: Practical and Tactical Considerations,” Quaderni dell’Arbitrato 1
- 2010: “The Evolution of Modern Sovereign Debt Litigation: Vultures, Alter Egos, and Other Legal Fauna,” Law and Contemporary Problems, Volume 73, Number 4
- “Provisional Remedies in Cross-Border Cases,”ABA International Litigation Manual, 2005
- “Standby Letters of Credit after Iran: Remedies of the Account Party” (co-author: George Weisz) U. Ill. L. Rev. 355, 1982
November 28, 2017
October 05, 2017
May 23, 2017
April 13, 2017
June 05, 2014
March 08, 2013
May 24, 2010
February 05, 2010