This role will support the firm’s global pitches & proposals function. Under the direction of the Global Proposals Manager, the Proposals Manager will be responsible for leading on the firm’s responses for strategic pitch and panel opportunities, applying proposal best practices and processes. The Proposals Manager will also support the partnership and wider Business Development team on the preparation of client-facing pitch opportunities more broadly.
The Proposals Manager will:
- Take lead on coordinating and drafting strategic panel pitches and multi-jurisdictional / multi-practice proposals, including facilitating and leading meetings, agreeing strategy and messaging, drafting, and reviewing content from a marketing perspective and coaching deal teams on winning proposals
- Objectively assess incoming pitch opportunities, making recommendations to partners and the wider Business Development team on if/how to proceed
- Collaborate with relevant colleagues (in Business Development, Profitability, Risk, DE&I, ESG, etc.) to develop pitch content that is compelling and focused on the client, esuring final pitch submissions are of the highest standard, consistent with the client’s requirements and instructions
- Develop pitch content that encapsulates a client-centric approach in line with the firm’s end-to-end pitching process and contains client research, sector information, competitor analysis, and market trends
- Coordinate presentation rehearsals and lead training and coaching on style, approach, and messaging. T
- Coach senior lawyers through the entire pitch process, from kick off meetings to final presentations
- Promote and uphold the firm’s approach and procedures regarding pitch best practices and processes
- Provide recommendations to increase efficiencies and ensure consistency of delivery and approach to pitching throughout the Business Development team and firm
- Maintain pitch information, such as pitch records and the firm’s pre-written RFP answer bank in Foundation (the Firm’s experience management and pitch system), and the client portal logins and access details
- Continually develop and look to innovate the firm’s approach to winning business, conducting feedback reviews for submitted proposals, identifying themes from client feedback, and taking action when appropriate
- Work closely with our Graphic Design and Word Processing functions to develop new formats and visually appealing proposals within the brand guidelines
Prepare regular reports for the firm’s leadership on our pitch performance
Skills and Competencies
- Minimum four years of experience in managing strategic and panel pitches, providing advice on approach and strategy
- A track record of successfully managing strategic and panel proposals end-to-end in a law firm or professional services environment
- Previous experience of working with and motivating senior figures and lawyers
- Exceptional attention to detail, the ability to look at a document and spot conflicting pieces of information on the same topic
- Strong organizational, time, and project management skills; ability to handle a diverse range of projects, prioritizing multiple tasks with competing deadlines
- Team player with the ability to work across borders/time zones and flexibility to work outside regular business hours if needed
- Ability to effectively communicate and recommend advice that adds value to each pitch proposition
- Self-starter with an enthusiastic, motivated, and pro-active demeanor
- Capacity to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Experience in developing best practice and implementing new processes
- Knowledge and prior experience with Foundation
About Cleary Gottlieb
- One Firm: We are a single, integrated, global partnership. Our ‘one firm’ approach enables us to deliver all of our resources to all of our clients, wherever in the world they may be.
- A Focus on Excellence: Clients trust us to handle their most challenging assignments, including large corporate transactions, bet-the-company litigation matters, and cases of first impression. Our work is rarely easy, but is often interesting and rewarding. Our lawyers say that what attracted them to Cleary is the opportunity to work on high-profile cases and transactions where the stakes are the highest and where their talents can make a difference in the outcome of a case or transaction.
- Internationality: Our focus on high-quality, innovative, and high-profile transactions means that our work almost always has a cross- border element. As a result, we consistently work with colleagues in our U.S., Latin America, European, Middle Eastern, and Asian offices on a daily basis.
- Team Spirit: The Business Development team is highly regarded and very well integrated. We work as a team, share information, and hold collegiality as one of our core values.
- Non-Departmentalized: This encourages discussion and integration between lawyers and professional staff, contributing significantly to the informality and collegiality of our office environment.
If you are interested in applying, please submit a CV and short cover letter to the London Human Resources Team, LON-HR@cgsh.com.