Luke Barefoot’s practice focuses on bankruptcy litigation, insolvency, corporate restructuring and related disputes.
Luke is also active in the firm’s pro bono practice. He was inducted into the International Insolvency Institute’s Next Generation at the London conference on June 19, 2017.
Luke joined the firm in 2004 and became a partner in 2013.
Steering Committee of bondholders in the Oi Brasil Holdings Cooperatief (Coop) Chapter 15 cases, including successful trial victory maintaining recognition of Brazilian proceeding by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
Goldman Sachs Mortgage Company in $1 billion exit financing facilities in the John Hammonds Trust Chapter 11 proceedings.
Overseas Shipholding Group Inc., one of the world’s largest publicly traded oil tanker companies, in its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and successful restructuring, including successful defense and resolution of challenges to its plan of reorganization.
The Government Development Bank for Puerto Rico in various litigation matters relating to Puerto Rico’s debt crisis.
Petrobras in a securities fraud class action and dozens of related individual actions in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Barclays in its purchase of Lehman’s North American investment banking assets, and various clients in resolving over $1 billion in outstanding derivative claims against the Lehman entities, both before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court and in related European insolvency proceedings.
Nortel Networks in the litigation of numerous claims related to Nortel’s bankruptcy, including claims with respect to the allocation of over $7 billion of proceeds from the sale of Nortel assets in bankruptcy.
Truvo Group in winning confirmation of its plan of reorganization, which enabled the cross-border restructuring of approximately €1.5 billion of debt.
Noble Group in its successful bid to buy substantially all of the assets of SemFuel, a subsidiary of SemGroup, through a bankruptcy auction.
- “A Growing Divide on Trademark License Rights in Bankruptcy,” (co-author with Daniel Ilan, Katie Dunn, and Michelle Elsner), Law360, June 13, 2018
- “Ninth Circuit Holds That Impaired Accepting Class Requirement Applies to Plan Confirmation on a ‘Per-Plan’ Rather Than a ‘Per Debtor’ Basis,” (co-author with Jim Bromley, Lisa Schweitzer, Sean O’Neal, and Dan Soltman), the Harvard Law School Bankruptcy Roundtable, April 3, 2018
- “Supreme Court Holds Section 546(e) Safe Harbor Does Not Apply to All Transfers Made Through Financial Institutions,” (co-author with Seth Grosshandler, Mike Krimminger, Lisa Schweitzer, Sean O’Neal, Sandra Rocks, Penelope Christophorou, Humayun Khalid, Knox McIlwain, Thomas Kessler, and Brandon Hammer), ABA Business Law Today, March 29, 2018
- “Unjust Enrichment or Fraudulent Transfer? Try Both,” (co-author with Matt Livingston), the American Bankruptcy Institute, September 9, 2017
- “Turning Bust to Boom: P3 Initiatives Under PROMESA,” (co-author with Richard Cooper, Adam Brenneman and Antonio Pietrantoni), Law360, July 19, 2017
- “Things to Watch in Retail: Key Takeaways,” (co-author with Steven Horowitz, Daniel Ilan, Lisa Schweitzer and Jane VanLare), Cleary Gottlieb Alert Memo, June 23, 2017
- “Disarming Puerto Rico’s Pension Time Bomb,” (co-author with Richard Cooper, Daniel Soltman and Antonio Pietrantoni), Law360, April 19, 2017
- “What Should Puerto Rico Offer Its Creditors?” (co-author with Richard Cooper and Jessica McBride), Law360, March 15, 2017
- “Pushed to the Bottom of the Pile: Subordinating Affiliate Securities Claims in Bankruptcy,” (co-author with Samuel Hershey), Bloomberg BNA’s Bankruptcy Law Reporter, March 9, 2017
- “Issues To Expect In A Title III Puerto Rico Restructuring,” (co-author with Richard Cooper, Jessica McBride and Antonio Pietrantoni), Law360, March 8, 2017
- “Why Puerto Rico Will Likely Rely On PROMESA Title III,” (co-author with Richard Cooper, Jessica McBride and Antonio Pietrantoni), Law360, March 1, 2017
- “How to Get Noticed: Lessons from In re New Century TRS Holdings, Inc.,” (co-author with Anthony Ruiz), Bloomberg BNA’s Bankruptcy Law Reporter, October 15, 2015
- “When to Pull the Trigger: Timing Considerations in Calculating Damages under Safe-Harbored Contracts Subject to 562,” (co-author with Danielle Levine), American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, March 2014
- “Bankruptcy Removal Power Trumps Nonremoval Statutes,” (co-author with Hugh Murtagh), New York Law Journal, June 24, 2013
- “Patenting New Protection for Chapter 15 Licensees,” (co-author with Emily Bussigel), American Bankruptcy Institute Journal, February 1, 2012
- “Fee Reimbursements Without Satisfying the ‘Substantial Contribution’ Standard,” (co-author with Lindsee Granfield), U.S. Law Week, January 18, 2011
- “Protection for Shareholder Payments in LBOs Gone Bad,” (co-author with Lisa Schweitzer), New York Law Journal, September 28, 2009