Cleary Gottlieb Lawyers and Practices Recognized in Chambers UK 2019
November 27, 2018
Cleary Gottlieb lawyers and practice areas have been highlighted in the 2019 edition of Chambers UK.
The firm earned 10 practice rankings, and 14 Cleary lawyers were recognized as leading lawyers in their respective practice areas: partners Jonathan Blackman, Pierre-Marie Boury, Maurits Dolmans, Sunil Gadhia, David Gottlieb, Simon Jay, Jonathan Kelly, Nicholas Levy, Michael McDonald, Raj Panasar, Tihir Sarkar, Andrew Shutter, and Sebastian Sperber, and counsel Paul Gilbert.
Cleary received commendations as a recommended firm in the following practice areas:
- Banking & Finance: “Strong command of transactional banking matters.”; “An enviable roster of corporates and sponsor clients. Also excels in LBOs, bank bond financings and financial restructurings. Highlighted for its ability to provide seamless cross-border advice.”; “They are very client-oriented, speedy, can make available a dedicated team upon short notice and provide top-quality legal advice.”; “They are very strong with skilled global lawyers on all kinds of matters.”
- Banking Litigation: “Noted cross-border capability, as well as the expertise to handle complex disputes concerning a range of issues within the banking industry. Particularly strong in relation to derivatives and national bond litigation, alongside proficiency in regulatory investigations and enforcement matters.”; “They’re a very fine firm – high quality and focused. They’re high-calibre people.”; “Their strength in depth across jurisdictions is very high.”
- Capital Markets: Debt & Equity: “It’s an extremely knowledgeable full-service firm, with expertise across capital markets, regulatory capital and corporate finance.”; “They are absolutely fantastic – exceptionally strong in London with a very strong European presence, particularly in Paris and Moscow.”
- Competition Law: “Collaborates closely with its market-leading practices in both Belgium and the USA to offer notable expertise on cross-border issues. Advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters including merger control, cartel follow-on damages claims and sectoral investigations.”
- Corporate/M&A: High-end Capability: “Deep expertise in deals involving Europe, the Middle East and Asia.”; “The quality of the people on the team is always strong and consistent, and you can be highly confident about the result.”; “They provide superb coverage and advice.”
- Litigation: “Offers valuable experience in overseeing sophisticated and sensitive disputes within the UK and around the world, with a high level of proficiency in litigation concerning the banking industry.”; “They achieve results, and they really think very hard about what is best for clients in the long run, not just in the short term.”
- Private Equity: Buyouts: High-end Capability: “They provide superb coverage and advice.”; “They utilise resources at the drop of a hat and are very good at anticipating our needs.”; “They’ve been just outstanding. They’re professional, excellent lawyers who provide probably the best responsiveness and ability to provide transactional services that we have had.”
View Cleary’s complete results on the Chambers website.