Lisa M. Schweitzer’s practice focuses on financial restructuring, bankruptcy, insolvency and commercial litigation.
She has advised clients in some of the most high-profile bankruptcy matters in North America, and her work repeatedly has been recognized by the business and legal press, including The American Lawyer, which previously named her a “Dealmaker of the Year.” Among her many highlights, Lisa is lead U.S. restructuring counsel to Nortel Networks Inc. and affiliates in their U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings. She has extensive experience advising corporate debtors, individual creditors and strategic investors in both U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings and restructurings in other jurisdictions in North America, Europe and Asia. Lisa also has represented several companies seeking to acquire distressed assets in bankruptcy proceedings.
Lisa joined the firm in 1996 and became a partner in 2006.
Barclays Capital in its acquisition of Lehman Brothers’ North American investment banking and capital markets assets, and a $450 million debtor-in-possession financing facility provided to Lehman.
Inversiones Alsacia and Express de Santiago Uno and their affiliates in their prepackaged Chapter 11 reorganization, the first Chapter 11 case filed by a Chilean company since 2002.
A large ad hoc group of bondholders in connection with the successful restructuring of Maxcom Telecomunicaciones through a prepackaged Chapter 11 proceeding.
Nortel Networks Inc. and affiliates in their U.S. Chapter 11 proceedings.
Major roles in connection with the bankruptcies of Adelphia Communications, Refco, Delta Airlines and Northwest Airlines. Additionally, she has counseled various clients with respect to the subprime crisis, including representing a major financial institution in managing its exposure and resolving claims against various mortgage originators.
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- Director, MFY Legal Services, Inc.
- “2016 Insolvency and Corporate Reorganisation Report: US,” James Bromley and Lisa Schweitzer (IFLR, April 28, 2016)
- “Lyondell Confirms High Fraudulent-Transfer Claims Standard,” Lisa Schweitzer and Lev E. Breydo (Law360, December 3, 2015)
- “S.D.N.Y. District Court Holds Trust Indenture Act Limits Ability of Issuer to Restructure Bonds of Dissenting Bondholders Outside of Bankruptcy,” Lisa Schweitzer, Kara A. Hailey, and Matthew L. Rappoport (Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, September 2015, Volume 11, Number 6)
- “7th Circ. Empowers In Pari Delicto Defense In Bankruptcy,” Lisa Schweitzer and Grace Kurland (Law360, July 29, 2015)
- “5th Circ. Provides Clarity On Ch. 15 Litigation Management,” Lisa Schweitzer and Daniel J. Soltman (Law360, June 17, 2015)
- Chapter on “Chapter 15 Litigation,” ABA Section of Litigation book on adversary proceedings, co-author with Jane VanLare (publication pending)
- “Octaviar Revisited – Litigation Claim is Sufficient Basis to Obtain Chapter 15 Recognition of Australian Proceeding,” Lisa Schweitzer and Grace Kurland (Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, September 2014, Volume 10, Number 6)
- “Eighth Circuit Holds that Trademark License Granted as Part of Sale Agreement is not Executory,” Lisa Schweitzer and Hugh K. Murtagh (Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, September 2014, Volume 10, Number 6)
- “Has RADLAX made ‘Indubitably Equivalent’ Arguments Any Less Indubitably Confusing?,” Lisa Schweitzer and Jane VanLare (Pratt’s Journal of Bankruptcy Law, September 2012)
- “Second Circuit Holds District Court Must Mandatorily Abstain from Deciding Parmalat State Court Action Related to U.S. Ancillary Bankruptcy Proceeding,” Lisa Schweitzer and Robin Baik (Commercial Law Newsletter, March 19, 2012, Spring 2012)
- “Debtors May Benefit from § 363 Protections Post-Confirmation,” Lisa M. Schweitzer and James A. Croft (The Bankruptcy Strategist, February 2012)
May 18, 2017
Moderator, ABI’s New York City Bankruptcy Conference
May 3, 2017
Participant, “Leveraged Finance Restructuring” panel, PLI’s Leveraged Financing 2017 Program
April 26, 2017
Participant, “Cross-Border Insolvencies and Chapter 15” panel, PLI’s Bankruptcy & Reorganizations 2017: Current Developments
May 12, 2016
Moderator, “Cross-Border Bankruptcy Issues” panel, 18th Annual ABI NYC Bankruptcy Conference
May 4, 2016
Participant, “Leveraged Finance Restructuring” panel, PLI’s Leveraged Financing 2016 Program
April 15, 2016
Moderator, “Best Practices – Bringing and Defending Fraudulent Conveyance Claims” panel, ABI 2016 Annual Spring Meeting
October 23, 2015
Participant, “What’s Wrong with Chapter 11? A Guide for European Practitioners” panel, ABI’s 2015 International Insolvency & Restructuring Symposium
June 5, 2015
Participant, “Testifying as an Expert Witness: Considerations, Process and Pitfalls” panel, Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors 31st Annual Bankruptcy & Restructuring Conference
May 14, 2015
Moderator, “Cross-Border Bankruptcy Issues” panel, 17th Annual ABI NYC Bankruptcy Conference
March 23, 2015
Moderator, “Intellectual Property and Insolvency – Ownership, Licenses, Enforcement and Sales” panel, INSOL International 2015 Annual Regional Conference in San Francisco, California
February 20, 2015
Participant, “The Decision to Separate” panel, PLI’s Spin-offs 2015
November 12, 2014
Participant, “The Ins and Outs of Chapter 15 – Don’t be the Last One to ‘Recognize’ the Benefits” panel, 2014 ABI Mid-Level Professional Development Program
October 8, 2014
Participant, “Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases in Bankruptcy” panel, 2014 National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges Annual Conference /American Bar Association
February 20, 2014
Participant, “The Decision to Separate” panel, PLI’s Spin-offs 2014
February 12, 2014
Participant, “Governance Issues for Boards When Your Company Is in Financial Straits” panel, PLI’s Corporate Governance – A Master Class 2014
November 1, 2013
Participant, “Intellectual Property Rights in Chapter 11 and the Limits of Section 365 (n)” panel, 87th NCBJ Annual Conference
August 12, 2013
Participant, “IP in the World of IOUs: Intellectual Property Licenses in Domestic and Cross-Border Insolvency Proceedings” panel, ABA – 2013 Business Law Section Annual Meeting
May 16, 2013
Participant, “Trademark and Patent Licenses in Bankruptcy” panel, 2013 ABI NYC Bankruptcy Conference
May 9, 2013
Participant, “Patent Sales and Bankruptcy” panel, PLI’s Distressed IP: Buying, Selling and Licensing Intellectual Property in Distressed Situations 2013
February 21, 2013
Participant, “The Decision to Separate” panel, at PLI’s Spin-offs 2013
December 1, 2012
Participant, “International/Technology & Intellectual Property: Handling IP Issues in a Multinational Insolvency Proceeding” panel, ABI’s U.S. 24th Annual Winter Leadership Conference 2012
November 7, 2012
Participant, “Cross-Border Recognition Issues Between U.S. and Mexico” panel, ABI’s U.S./Mexico Restructuring Symposium