Jeffrey A. Rosenthal’s practice focuses on general commercial and international arbitration and litigation, as well as sports law.
He has represented numerous foreign and domestic entities before a wide variety of judicial and arbitral bodies, including the International Chamber of Commerce, the London Court of International Arbitration, the American Arbitration Association, the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, UNCITRAL, the Society of Maritime Arbitrators, and a number of federal and state courts. Jeffrey has tried or arbitrated cases through merits hearings concerning international joint venture disputes, intellectual property, sports contract disputes, maritime issues, bankruptcy, breaches of contract, insurance law, bilateral investment treaty disputes and tort law, among others. He has also been appointed to serve as arbitrator in connection with proceedings involving the Ladies Professional Golf Association and a National Basketball Association club.
Jeffrey joined the firm in 1992 and became a partner in 2001.
The Bank of New York and one of its subsidiaries in connection with numerous lawsuits arising out of the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme.
A leading French communications company and its co-investors in the successful resolution of an ICC arbitration in Geneva arising out of a joint venture dispute involving a Polish television satellite platform.
A leading global financial institution in the successful resolution of an ICC arbitration hearing in Lausanne, Switzerland against a German bank arising out of our client’s purchase of a multibillion-euro non-performing loan portfolio.
Grupo Condumex, S.A. de C.V. in obtaining a trial verdict in an Ohio federal court upholding its right of first refusal to purchase shares in a Mexican joint venture that had been sold by its partner to a competitor.
Mark Messier and the National Hockey League Players’ Association in connection with their successful grievance arbitration against the Vancouver Canucks relating to deferred compensation.
The U.S. Nortel estate in an unprecedented, simultaneous seven-week cross-border trial concerning the allocation of $7.5 billion from the global liquidation of the assets of the Nortel Networks group of companies.
A Russian oil company in the successful resolution of an UNCITRAL arbitration hearing in The Hague against Ukraine arising under the Russia-Ukraine bilateral investment treaty.
Texas Pacific Group in the successful resolution of an arbitration before the London Court of International Arbitration by prospective Israeli joint venture partners in an unsuccessful internet venture.
Vale in an ad hoc arbitration proceeding in Rio de Janeiro arising out claims relating to a mining project in Guinea, West Africa.
Young & Rubicam Inc. in winning a trial involving claims of copyright and trademark infringement arising out of a Chinese advertising campaign for Colgate toothpaste developed by our client.
- Member, Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, New York International Arbitration Center
- Member, International Arbitration Club of New York
- Former Board Member, The Fund for Modern Courts
- Former Chair, Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section, New York State Bar Association
- Former Member, International Commercial Disputes Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Former Adjunct Professor (Sports Law), New York Law School and Rutgers Law School
- Second Circuit Confirms That an Arbitral Award That Has Been Nullified at the Seat of the Arbitration Should Rarely Be Enforced, July 27, 2017
- Second Circuit Rules That FSIA Provides Sole Basis for Jurisdiction Over Foreign Sovereigns in Actions to Enforce ICSID Awards, July 17, 2017
- Important Issues for Potential Users of ICC Arbitration: The New ICC Rules, March 2, 2017
- The Year in Review: An Annual Survey of International Legal Developments, Chapter on International Arbitration, ABA/Section of International Law, Vol. 51, 2017
- Lehman Bankruptcy Court Holds Provisions in Lehman CDOs Setting Payment Priority Are Enforceable and Protected by Safe Harbor, July 6, 2016
- The Year in Review: An Annual Publication of the ABA/Section of International Law, Section on International Arbitration, Vol. 50, 2016
- “The Yashin Arbitration: Ending Hockey Holdouts?” New York Law Journal, p. 1, July 14, 2000
- “Commentary: The Effect of the Latrell Sprewell Arbitration Decision” The Sports Lawyer p. 13, May/June 1998
- Legal Analysis of Sprewell Arbitration Decision, New York Law Journal, p. 5, March 20, 1998
February 13, 2018
June 29, 2017
June 13, 2017
May 25, 2017
May 05, 2017
May 04, 2017
October 20, 2016
November 01, 2015
June 03, 2015
May 04, 2012
October 14, 2011
May 20, 2011
May 20, 2011
April 05, 2011
November 07, 2010