François-Charles Laprévote’s practice focuses on European competition and international trade law, including merger control, state aid, cartel investigations, market dominance and trade defense instruments.
He has advised corporate clients and financial institutions as well as government and public entities in numerous competition, State aid and trade cases before the European Commission, the European Courts in Luxembourg and the French Competition Authority.
François-Charles joined the firm in 2007 and became a partner in 2013. From 2005 to 2007, he served as the economic adviser of the French Minister for European Affairs. From 2002 to 2005, he was a detached national expert in the Directorate General for External Trade of the European Commission, where he was in charge of negotiations on services and investment. From 1998 to 2002, he served at the Inspection Générale des Finances, the internal auditing and consulting body of the French Ministry for Finance.
Financial institutions in several major state aid cases related to the global economic and financial crisis, including Dexia in all aspects of its restructuring and orderly resolution and BNP Paribas in its acquisition of Fortis Bank, Millennium BCP, Crédit Immobilier de France.
Corporate clients and financial institutions before the European Commission or national authorities in numerous antitrust or merger control cases, including LG Display in the LCD investigation, Lafarge in its merger with Holcim, Google in the French Competition Authority’s investigation of online advertising and Vallourec in connection with various EU competition law issues in the tubes sector.
Clients before European Courts and arbitration courts in several litigation cases, including SNCM in the litigation concerning alleged aids for an amount of up to €440 million, the European Central Bank in connection with its localization policy regarding CCPs and Electricité de France (EdF) in an arbitration involving the sale of its shareholding in EnBW to the State of Baden-Württemberg.
Clients before the European Commission and arbitration courts in a number of trade defense and circumvention investigations, including in the monosodium glutamate, aluminium foil and bicycles sectors.
European Courts Litigation Experience
Case T-354/15, Allergopharma v. European Commission (counsel to Allergopharma) Re: Appeal against an European Commission decision authorizing an aid scheme for German pharmaceutical companies in financial difficulties through the exemptions from mandatory rebates.
Case C-248/15 P, Maxcom v. City Cycle Industries (lead counsel to City Cycle Industries) Re: Appeal brought by Maxcom Ltd against the judgment of the General Court in Case T-413/13.
Case C-247/15 P, Maxcom v. Chin Haur Indonesia (lead counsel to Chin Haur Indonesia) Re: Appeal brought by Maxcom Ltd against the judgment of the General Court in Case T-412/13.
Case T-1/15, SNCM v. European Commission (lead counsel to SNCM) Re: Appeal against an European Commission decision by which the Commission found that some measures implemented by the French authorities in favour of SNCM constitute State aid which is unlawful and incompatible with the internal market.
Case T-454/13, SNCM v. European Commission (lead counsel to SNCM) Re: Appeal against an European Commission decision by which the Commission found that the compensation paid to SNCM in the context of a public service agreement is partially incompatible with the internal market.
Case T-93/13 United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland v. European Central Bank (counsel for the ECB) Re: Representation before European General Court in appeal filed against the Guideline on a Trans-European Real-time Gross settlement Express Transfer system (TARGET 2) and a decision amending Decision ECB/2007/7 concerning the terms and conditions of TARGET 2-ECB.
Case T-45/12, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland v. European Central Bank (counsel for the ECB) Re: Challenge to the ECB’s standards for the use of central counterparties in euro system foreign reserve management operations.
Case T-496/11, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland v. European Central Bank (counsel for the ECB) Re: Challenge to the ECB’s framework policy concerning the location of central counterparty clearing systems handling euro-denominated transactions.
Case C-227/14 P, LG Display Co. Ltd and LG Display Taiwan Co. Ltd v. European Commission (counsel to LG Display and LG Display Taiwan) Re: Appeal against the General Court’s judgment in Case T-128/11 which dismisses the applicants request to partially annul the Commission’s decision fining the appellants for being part of a cartel among six major international manufacturers of LCD panels.
Case T-413/13, City Cycle Industries v. Council (lead counsel for City Cycle Industries) Re: Appeal against the Council Implementing Regulation (EU) No 501/2013 as far as it extends the anti-dumping duty to City Cycle Industries and deny its exemption request.
Case T-412/13, Chin Haur Indonesia v. Council (lead counsel for Chin Haur Indonesia) Re: Appeal against the Council Implementing Regulation (EU) No 501/2013 as far as it extends the anti-dumping duty to Chin Haur Indonesia and deny its exemption request.
Case C-533/12 P, SNCM v. European Commission (lead counsel to SNCM) Re: Appeal against the General Court’s judgment in Case T-565/08 which partially annuls the Commission Decision 2009/611/EC of 8 July 2008 concerning the measures C 58/02 (ex N 118/02) which France has implemented in favour of SNCM.
Case T-128/11, LG Display and LG Display Taiwan v. European Commission (counsel to LG Display and LG Display Taiwan) Re: Appeal against a Commission’s decision fining the appellants for being part of a cartel among six major international manufacturers of LCD panels.
Case T-565/08, Corsica Ferries France v. European Commission (counsel to SNCM intervening in support of the Commission) Re: Representation of SNCM in connection with an appeal against the Commission’s decision concerning some measures which France has implemented in favour of SNCM.
Case C-440/07 P, Commission v. Schneider Electric SA (counsel to Schneider Electric) Re: Appeal by the European Commission of the General Court judgment in Case T-351/03, ordering for the first time ever the EU Commission to compensate for the consequences of a merger-prohibition decision that was found to be illegal.
- Member, International Chamber of Commerce’s Committee on Trade and Investment
- “The EU Commission fines a company for providing incorrect or misleading information during its investigation on a merger (Facebook / WhatsApp)”, by François-Charles Laprévote, Maurits Dolmans, Thomas Graf, Nicholas Levy, Francisco Enrique González-Díaz and Christopher Cook, e-Competitions, No. 84276, June 2017, pp. 1-4.
- Editor and Contributor, Cleary International Trade and Sanctions Watch blog.
- Editor and Contributor, Research Handbook on State Aid in the Banking Sector, November 2017.
- “Improve Due Process and End US-EU Spats,” by François-Charles Laprévote, The Financial Times, (letter to the editor), March 2016.
- “Competition Policy Within the Context of Free Trade Agreements” (with S. Frisch and B. Can), Think Piece written in relation to the E15 Initiative, Expert Group on Competition Policy and the Trade System, July 2015.
- “Antitrust in Wonderland: Trade Defense Through The Competition Looking-Glass,” Revue Concurrences, May 2015.
- “The Commission’s Decisional Practice on State Aid to Banks – An Update” (with M. Paron), EStAL, January 2015.
- “The (French) Postman Rings Twice In Vain: The European Court of Justice’s Upholding of the General Court’s Judgment in The La Poste Case” (with C. Emin and F. Coupé), EStAL – Annotation on the Judgment of the ECJ of 3 April 2014 in Case C-559/12 P French Republic v Commission, December 2014.
- “A Missed Opportunity? State Aid Modernization and Effective Third Parties Rights in State Aid Proceedings,” EStAL, September 2014.
- “State Aid in Financial Services: An Overview of EU and National Case Law,” foreword by François-Charles Laprévote, eCompetitions Bulletin Special Issue, Art. N° 67707, July 2014.
- “Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here? Efficiencies in European Merger Control: A Few Lessons from Recent Decisional Practice,” Revue Concurrences, May 2014.
- “La Crise Economique et Financière en France et dans l’Union Européenne: Eclairage sur les Aides d’Etat et le Secteur Bancaire,” Lamy, 2014.
- “Retour sur la Conférence de Bali, ou le Sauvetage du Système Commercial Multilatéral,” ICC France – 100ème numéro d’Echanges Internationaux, June 2014.
- “European Champions and Merger Control Rules” (with A. Winckler & D. Neven), Revue Concurrences, 2014.
- “Selected Issues Raised by Recent Cartel Fines Decisions” (with A. Winckler), Competition Policy International, November 2013.
- “The Economic and Financial Crisis in Europe: State Aid and Banks in the European Union – Selected Examples” (contribution to XXVII General Congress of the U.A.E proceedings publication), October 2013.
- “Competition Law in Times of Economic Crisis: In Need of Adjustment? State aid enforcement in the financial sector” (contribution to GCLC 8th annual conference report), December 2012.
- “Banks and State aid control in the EU: four years (and more?) of Temporary Framework,” Competition Policy International, inaugural edition of the Europe column, December 2012.
- “Y a-t-il une vie après Doha? Eléments de réflexion sur l’avenir du système commercial multilatéral,” Echanges Internationaux (ICC), April 2012.
- “Selected issues raised by bank restructuring plans under EU State aid rules,” European State Aid Quarterly, 2012.
- “Subsidies issues in the WTO: an update” (with S. Kang), European State Aid Law Quarterly, 3/2011.
- “Reconciling Legal Certainty, Legitimate Expectations, Equal Treatment and the Prohibition of State Aids – The Nuova Agricast Case” (with A. Winckler), European State Aid Law Quarterly, 2/2011.
- “La Commission intervient dans le projet avorté de fusion West LB-Bayern LB,” Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, January-March 2011.
- “Mêmes symptômes, remèdes différents – La Commission autorise deux méga-fusions dans le secteur pharmaceutique,” Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, January-March 2010.
- “Comme une lettre à la poste? La fusion des postes suédoise et danoise,” Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, October-December 2009.
- “Le contrôle communautaire des aides d’Etat aux établissements financiers dans la crise: un premier bilan,” Droit et Affaires, 2009 (with English summary).
- “When the watchman must take the wheel - State aid control of financial institutions and other political imperatives during the economic crisis” (with A. Winckler), Concurrences n°2-2009.
- “Coupable, mais non responsable? Epilogue dans l’affaire Airtours,” Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, January-March 2009.
- “The new Commission guidance on state aid and the financial crisis” (with T. Müller-Ibold), Eurowatch, October 2008.
- “Les chantiers navals coréens prennent le contrôle d’Aker Yards,” Revue Lamy de la Concurrence, July-September 2008.
KNect365’s State Aid and Taxation 2017
Panel: Procedural and Administrative Issues in State Aid
Italian Banks: Between Bail-in and State Aid
July 11, 2017
State Aid and Taxation 2017
Panel: Procedural and Administrative Issues in State Aid
June 20, 2016
Tax and State Aid 2016
June 16, 2016
New Frontiers of Antitrust 2016
Panel: Competition and trade policies: Is there a way forward?
June 9, 2016
14th Experts’ Forum on New Developments in European State Aid Law
Panel: Whom the Bell Tolls – EU Law vs. National Court Proceedings: The Role of Res Judicata
October 31, 2015
Private Antitrust Litigation in the European Union: National Developments
Panel: Transposition of the Directive on Actions for Damages for Infringements of Competition Law
May 20, 2015
Ministère de l’Economie et des Finances, Direction Générale du Trésor et Autorité de la Concurrence, République Française – Séminaire Philippe Nasse: Définition et Analyse Concurrentielle des Marchés Locaux
March 4-5, 2015
E15 Expert Group on Competition Policy
Competition Policy within the Context of Free Trade Agreements
May 23, 2014
European State Aid Law Institute 12th Experts’ Forum on New Developments in European State Aid Law
May 8, 2014
Instituut voor Bedrijfsjuristen / Institut des Juristes d’Entreprise – Seminar on Competition Law: The EU Directive on Private Damages Actions
February 10, 2014
Europäische Rechtsakademie’s EU Competition Law Workshop: Challenges of Cross-Border Cartels, Coordination between NCAs, Sanctions, Fines and ITP Claims